diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Class D (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/)
-   -   Sonic Impact 5066 Removal of Volume Pot (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/54512-sonic-impact-5066-removal-volume-pot.html)

MichaelBr 30th March 2005 08:15 PM

Sonic Impact 5066 Removal of Volume Pot

Many have talked about it but my searches and review of the long threads don't indicate what exactly needs to be done if I were to remove the volume pot while modding the Sonic Impact 5066.

Do you simply connect the inputs directly to the board? If so, I can do that without detailed instruction.

Or, do you need to wire a resistor between the inputs and the board. If so, please provide detailed instructions on values and connection. I can follow instructions but couldn't design a circuit if my life depended on it.

Michael
(Lurker, first time poster)

motherone 30th March 2005 09:11 PM

You can just wire it directly in. There's already a 20k resistor that's part of the feedback network inline with the input.

Mike

MichaelBr 30th March 2005 10:20 PM

Thank you so much.

motherone 30th March 2005 10:56 PM

No problem. I'll be doing that on my next SI amp as well. Please post how it turns out!

Mike

Pano 31st March 2005 08:10 AM

Don't forget that the stock pot has the power switch in it. You'll need to replace or bypass the switch too.

BillyM 31st March 2005 11:44 AM

I suggest replacing the gain-set resistor (the 36kohm one) with a 20kohm or lower resistor because it is LOUD otherwise. ...depending upon your other components ofcourse. I ended up having to attenuate the source GREATLY on the SI when I did the same mod, before swapping the gain resistor.

--BillyM

Panelhead 31st March 2005 04:05 PM

Resistor Changes

Quote:

Originally posted by BillyM
I suggest replacing the gain-set resistor (the 36kohm one) with a 20kohm or lower resistor because it is LOUD otherwise. ...depending upon your other components ofcourse. I ended up having to attenuate the source GREATLY on the SI when I did the same mod, before swapping the gain resistor.

--BillyM

In my amp the gain is close to the Mini Aleph and Hirega. This is with no volume pot and the stock resistor. Also a Forte 2A operates in the same range.
The Evaluation Board uses a 20K feedback resistor. But the stripped evaluation board uses a 40K resistor. This allows the use of a 1 ufd coupling cap.

George

George

tetra 11th April 2005 03:38 PM

Hi,

I am a newbie and having trouble with the following connections:
I don't have electronics 101.

Heres what the wires are: ( V + R L G L R)

V and + = power into and out of the power switch
R = right signal input from pot
L = left signal input from pot
G = common ground to both channels
L = left signal input to pot ( abandoned)
R = right signal input to pot ( abandoned)

What wire goes to which position on the radioshack pot? If you can provide a diagram or pic of what goes where, I would really appreciate it. TIA

motherone 11th April 2005 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tetra
Hi,

I am a newbie and having trouble with the following connections:
I don't have electronics 101.

Heres what the wires are: ( V + R L G L R)

V and + = power into and out of the power switch
R = right signal input from pot
L = left signal input from pot
G = common ground to both channels
L = left signal input to pot ( abandoned)
R = right signal input to pot ( abandoned)

What wire goes to which position on the radioshack pot? If you can provide a diagram or pic of what goes where, I would really appreciate it. TIA

The middle terminal of the potentiometer connects to the L/R input from pot. The input is usually the right terminal, and ground is usually the left. I haven't used one of the radio shack potentiometers in quite a while, though.

I would highly suggest that you read up and get a basic understanding of electronics before you get in over your head. Since you have a radio shack in your area, you may want to see if they still carry the old "Getting Started in Electronics" book, or just visit a bookstore and look for one.

Just a heads-up: it's usually considered good form to search the forums before posting a question like this. It's been answered several times before. If you look around, you should be able to find one of the posts that contains a wiring diagram.