Ramsey UAM2 digital amp - anyone know anything about it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a direct link to the amp on Ramsey Electronics:

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=UAM2

It kind of reminds me of that LM1875 kit that's out there. It was basically a board and parts kit based on the LM1875 datasheet circuit, but didn't seem to make a big splash in the Gainclone community.

I wonder if this digital amp kit is the same, or if it's really something better.

Anyhow, it looks like only one channel and costs just as much or more that a new Sonic Impact 5066.

KT

According to UAM2 manual - it uses a 20W "Mono, High Power, Filter-Free Class-D Audio Amplifier" Texas Instruments TPA3001D1 chip

Evaluation board (fully assembled) can be bought from TI for $49 - seems like a better deal (all the soldering of SMT parts already done)

This is a so called "filterless" class D chip - no need for large output inductors because the module is meant to sit close to the speaker - short speaker leads= low EMI emissions?

Has anybody any ideas on how effective filterless class D chips are - after all a major source of distortion is supposedly eliminated/reduced i.e output inductors

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.