ICE 1000A Q's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys!
I'm new here, and registered because I was hoping that maybe someone here could help me with power supply to my two ICE modules, 1000A.

As for now, I have ordered two transformers. They are made for me the way I want them. 800V, 230V primary lining, and two different secondary linings (one for feed, one for the driving curcuit).

As the modules want +120V (wants 135V max I believe), I designed the first secondary lining to 83V (83V x 1.414 x 1.04 - 2 = 120V).

The second secondary lining I'm not sure of, as I do not know if there is any stabiliser circuit on the module. Anyone know if there is?
I have designed it to 12V AC, which will give appr. +-15V DC.

What Voltage should I go for?

Rectifier bridges will be used of good Quality, and RIFA PEH will be used to the powerbank....

Thank you very much for your help.

ICE1000A

There is no stabilized circuit on the 1000A low voltage input. It needs a regulated ±12V to 15V. Also, in series with the + and - inputs, wire a 1N4002 diode. This is because if you do not do this and one module goes, it will destroy everything else connected to the ±15V supply.

You see, when an ICE module fails, the high voltage supply sort of "burps" out on the +15V line for a short time. If you have a blocking diode on the 15V supply, fine. However, if you do not, then all else connected to the 15V line is toast.

In developing a product using these, we lost all the modules in an amp several times and all the drive electronics until we made these diodes standard. I have mentioned this to the ICE Power folks and they said they will see abount incorporating them on the board in a future revision. However, for now, be advised that for now, you MUST put 1N4002 (any 1A 200V or better rectifier diode will do) diodes in series with the +15V and -15V lines.

Also, the 500A and 250A modules run on ±12V, while the 1000A runs on ±15V. WHat I have done is set my regulators at ±12.6V and put the diodes in series with the low voltage suplies of each module. Running the 1000A on ±12V has had so observable effect as the amp's output will clip far before you even come close to the supply rails on the input section.

By the way, when picking a transformer secondary voltage, you must assume 130V or 260V AC input depending on your country. I have seen the line at 250V when I was in Portugal and 120V to 123V is common here in SOuthern California. DOn't max out the supply voltage on an unregulated supply to get another 1/4 db of output then fry the amp when a high line condition comes along.

I sized my secondary to give 113V DC when the line voltage is 120VAC to operate the 100A and for 75V DC for the 500A.

Thank you for your reply, Dan. I came to the conclusion that I needed a stabilized voltage input.
The transformers will leave 15V AC, and after rectifiers and stabilizers it will be at +-14V.
The main voltage will be at 118-120V, which is 5-7V under maximum recommended voltage. It says in the brochure that absolute maximum is 135V, so it should be on the safe side.

BTW, thank you for the advice about the diode, a cheap insurance.
:)

Best Regards
Mattias Andersson

Hello!
Unfortunately I haven't finished the project yet. I'm in the middle of moving to a new apartment and finishing the mock up for my summer car, so there haven't been much time.

My amps will be in an subwoofer application, together with Subwoofers from TC Sounds. The woofers are 10" (40mm linear excursion) and the cabinet is a closed box of appr. 25-30 litres together with a Linkwitz Transform curcuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.