an EE told me something about the UcD400 module - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2005, 10:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default an EE told me something about the UcD400 module

i'm doing my internship in a big gov't agency, in my department we fix/design/troubleshoot electronics equipment used in the field for radio communications and different types of machines used by the public.

i brought the module at work and showed it to my EE manager, he laughed at me and said it's impossible for the device to produce 400W RMS he looked at the 2 components connected to the heatsink and checked the datasheet online(fairchild?) and told me maybe it's 400W peak NOT RMS, the 1 page manual that came with the module doesn't state if it's Peak or RMS. I printed the manual of the Zappulse cause it's has more information about Class D amp (hopefully Hypex can produce a manual that contains much information like the one for Zappulse) just to show him that an amplifier that small can produce that much power.

now this just became more exciting, i want to prove him wrong, i'll prove to him that it is really 400W RMS , once i finish the amp we will hook it up to an analyzer at work so I can prove it using his own equipments

onixuser
Old 23rd March 2005, 10:59 PM   #2
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

Just be prepared to get laughed at again without getting your feelings hurt ok?
Old 24th March 2005, 12:31 AM   #3
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Re: an EE told me something about the UcD400 module

Quote:
Originally posted by onixuser
i'm doing my internship in a big gov't agency, in my department we fix/design/troubleshoot electronics equipment used in the field for radio communications and different types of machines used by the public.

i brought the module at work and showed it to my EE manager, he laughed at me and said it's impossible for the device to produce 400W RMS he looked at the 2 components connected to the heatsink and checked the datasheet online(fairchild?) and told me maybe it's 400W peak NOT RMS, the 1 page manual that came with the module doesn't state if it's Peak or RMS. I printed the manual of the Zappulse cause it's has more information about Class D amp (hopefully Hypex can produce a manual that contains much information like the one for Zappulse) just to show him that an amplifier that small can produce that much power.

now this just became more exciting, i want to prove him wrong, i'll prove to him that it is really 400W RMS , once i finish the amp we will hook it up to an analyzer at work so I can prove it using his own equipments

onixuser

Just don`t laugh to hard when it really gives 400Watt :-). You could push your luck a bit by using a 3 Ohm load and cranck out even more than that.

Gertjan
Old 24th March 2005, 02:14 AM   #4
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Hi,

....and he got all that from the data sheet of the output device did he? Impressive...manager you said??

He sounds like just the type to put some of those big gov. manager bucks where his yap is, how much do you have riding on this?

I bet he can make a better one too
Old 24th March 2005, 02:51 AM   #5
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Incidentally, did you tell your manager it _does_ require some extra heatsinking? The plain module on its own will produce the rated power but is likely to fry. I kind of get the feeling he wasn't thinking that far into it though.
Old 24th March 2005, 02:53 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'd bet he's assuming the amp runs Class-AB and figuring the plausible power output from there. As classd4sure says, you could make some coin from his misapprehension - just make sure the power supply is well regulated.

Francois.
Old 24th March 2005, 07:11 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I dare to bet that he doesn't even know what a class-d amp is !!

Regards

Charles
Old 24th March 2005, 08:35 AM   #8
km is offline km
diyAudio Member

hi.

>I printed the manual of the Zappulse cause it's has more information about Class D amp (hopefully Hypex can produce a manual that contains much information like the one for Zappulse) just to show him that an amplifier that small can produce that much power.>

proof?

did you test it?

best rgds - karsten madsen - cadaudio.dk
Old 24th March 2005, 09:23 AM   #9
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Better tell your manager to take a knife and fork in to work next time as he will be eating humble pie All you need is a 42-0-42 transformer and a pair of 15,000uF caps and you will make approx 400W RMS into 4 ohms all day long. Of course you will need a smallish (the sort of size you would use for a 40W or so amp) heatsink, but that shouldn't be a problem.

He has obviously just looked at the power rating of the output devices and is assuming class-b principles. Typical public sector manager/dinosaur engineer thinks he knows it all because he has been doing the same old narrow minded thing for the last 20 years.
Old 24th March 2005, 02:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

You should put him in his place!

This is the mentality I'm meeting at my local hifi stores as well... show them pics and they laugh, no way, no way...

Some people are rusted(sp?) in principles

Y

Hide this!Advertise here!