an EE told me something about the UcD400 module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm doing my internship in a big gov't agency, in my department we fix/design/troubleshoot electronics equipment used in the field for radio communications and different types of machines used by the public.

i brought the module at work and showed it to my EE manager, he laughed at me and said it's impossible for the device to produce 400W RMS :confused: he looked at the 2 components connected to the heatsink and checked the datasheet online(fairchild?) and told me maybe it's 400W peak NOT RMS, the 1 page manual that came with the module doesn't state if it's Peak or RMS. I printed the manual of the Zappulse cause it's has more information about Class D amp (hopefully Hypex can produce a manual that contains much information like the one for Zappulse) just to show him that an amplifier that small can produce that much power.

now this just became more exciting, i want to prove him wrong, i'll prove to him that it is really 400W RMS :smash:, once i finish the amp we will hook it up to an analyzer at work so I can prove it using his own equipments :D

onixuser

onixuser said:
i'm doing my internship in a big gov't agency, in my department we fix/design/troubleshoot electronics equipment used in the field for radio communications and different types of machines used by the public.

i brought the module at work and showed it to my EE manager, he laughed at me and said it's impossible for the device to produce 400W RMS :confused: he looked at the 2 components connected to the heatsink and checked the datasheet online(fairchild?) and told me maybe it's 400W peak NOT RMS, the 1 page manual that came with the module doesn't state if it's Peak or RMS. I printed the manual of the Zappulse cause it's has more information about Class D amp (hopefully Hypex can produce a manual that contains much information like the one for Zappulse) just to show him that an amplifier that small can produce that much power.

now this just became more exciting, i want to prove him wrong, i'll prove to him that it is really 400W RMS :smash:, once i finish the amp we will hook it up to an analyzer at work so I can prove it using his own equipments :D

onixuser

Just don`t laugh to hard when it really gives 400Watt :). You could push your luck a bit by using a 3 Ohm load and cranck out even more than that.

Gertjan

hi.

>I printed the manual of the Zappulse cause it's has more information about Class D amp (hopefully Hypex can produce a manual that contains much information like the one for Zappulse) just to show him that an amplifier that small can produce that much power.>

proof?

did you test it?

best rgds - karsten madsen - cadaudio.dk

Better tell your manager to take a knife and fork in to work next time as he will be eating humble pie :D All you need is a 42-0-42 transformer and a pair of 15,000uF caps and you will make approx 400W RMS into 4 ohms all day long. Of course you will need a smallish (the sort of size you would use for a 40W or so amp) heatsink, but that shouldn't be a problem.

He has obviously just looked at the power rating of the output devices and is assuming class-b principles. Typical public sector manager/dinosaur engineer thinks he knows it all because he has been doing the same old narrow minded thing for the last 20 years.

Yves Smolders said:
You should put him in his place!

This is the mentality I'm meeting at my local hifi stores as well... show them pics and they laugh, no way, no way...

Some people are rusted(sp?) in principles

Y

That's the reaction I'd expect from them exactly. Just think, if they actually did understand it, when done laughing, they'd go to the backroom and cry.

"What does it do, how good does it do it, how much $?? Sniff..... excuse me."

They're more interested in selling LEDs, boxes with big goofy LCD displays for an arm and a leg, and something with somebody's signiature stamped on it. Quality audio entirely optional, and not very likely.

Nope, they're not happy to see you walk in there with that kind of thing.

You have to know their principles differ widely from your own.

Anyway, ten years from now they'll know enough about them to be able to say "yeah, ok, but those are just for subwoofers".

Cheers

km said:
hi.

>I printed the manual of the Zappulse cause it's has more information about Class D amp (hopefully Hypex can produce a manual that contains much information like the one for Zappulse) just to show him that an amplifier that small can produce that much power.>

proof?

did you test it?

best rgds - karsten madsen - cadaudio.dk

prove what? test what? :confused: the Zappulse manual?

and regarding the UcD400 amp, it's not yet finished

onixuser

my manager is a very nice guy, he teaches me a lot and I know he have a lot of experience with regards to engineering and electronics circuits

although class-d amp is not a new technology, the application of it is not as common as class a/ab amplifiers, hopefully once i finished the amp and proved to him that it can produce atleast 300+ Watts RMS he'll consider reviewing the development of class-d amplifiers :)

the power supply that i'm building will use 800VA w/ 40V dual sec. transformer and 8 x 6800uF United Chemi-Con SMH series caps

mosfet on the UcD400 is Fairchild Semi FDP42AN15A0

onixuser

These MOSFETs can handle 150V, 35A... So there you have it.

I was also wondering about that. The Mosfets look so tiny compated to the beasts you find in class AB amps. Usually there are four, sometimes eight devices used for stereo operation.

Here it's coming from 2 little mosfets. It's truly amazing what these small boards do.

Y

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.