Implement SLA battery for Sonic Impact

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Can someone please show me step by step on how to use SLA battery (where to buy and how to hook it up, etc...) for my sonic impact. I am not much of a technical person other than being able to solder things together so please walk me step by step in layman term. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Another question is how significant is the improvement can be heard by using SLA battery vs regulated power supply. I bought a 12V regulated wall wart power supply and can not hear much of a difference if any when compare to a regular type.

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

A good place to buy an SLA is www.batterymart.com . I picked up a 1.3Ah battery and 0.5A charger. Very inexpensive, and they work great. I easily get 8-12 hours from a charge. If you want a multi-day battery, consider the 3.4Ah SLA.

I hooked mine up using an SPDT switch (from Radio Shack - get a high current switch to be safe). Basically, the negative is common and connects from the negative side of charger receptacle, to the negative battery terminal, then to the negative power terminal on the Tripath board.

The SPDT switch has three terminals. The center terminal connects directly to the positive terminal of the SLA battery. One outside terminal connects directly to the +12V input on the tripath board. The last terminal contacts to +12V connection on your power charger connector.

I used a cheap radio shack female "m power connector" on my amp, and a male M connector on the end of the charger cord.

As an aside, I was a little worried about noise entering from the charger through the common ground circuit. I tested the amp both ways (common ground and isolated ground) and had zero noise in both cases, so I went with a SPDT insteatd of a DPDT switch.

-Rich

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.