UcD400 vs HIP4080a Thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have been thinking about building an amp based on the UcD400 but have not had time to do so yet. I did however pick up a PS Audio HCA-2 fairly cheap the other day. I thought this would be a good way to get an idea of how a class- D amp might sound in my system first. The HCA-2 is based on the HIP4080a chip. I was wondering if any one has compared the sound of this chip to the UcD400 and if one is significantly better than the other. I'am debating moding the HCA-2 or building the UcD400. Any thoughts or opions would be helpfull. Thanks.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Mark, Thanks for the reply. Hard on the ears is exactly how I would describe what I hear with the 4080. I think it would make a good sub amp. It can sound good on some things, but I find myself turning the volume down for allot things. Thats why I was wonder if it is worth spending the time and money to try to improve this amp or try one of the other designs out there or go back to my original idea of building a chip based design.

Mike2 said:
I have been thinking about building an amp based on the UcD400 but have not had time to do so yet. I did however pick up a PS Audio HCA-2 fairly cheap the other day. I thought this would be a good way to get an idea of how a class- D amp might sound in my system first. The HCA-2 is based on the HIP4080a chip. I was wondering if any one has compared the sound of this chip to the UcD400 and if one is significantly better than the other. I'am debating moding the HCA-2 or building the UcD400. Any thoughts or opions would be helpfull. Thanks.

If you don`t want to build anything, then probably one of the cheapest tickets to Class D is buying an ICEpower based amp from acoustic reality. I don`t have such an amp but the cases look nice and the 2x200W one looks reasonably priced.

GEetjan

Re: Re: UcD400 vs HIP4080a Thoughts?

ghemink said:

If you don`t want to build anything, then probably one of the cheapest tickets to Class D is buying an ICEpower based amp from acoustic reality. I don`t have such an amp but the cases look nice and the 2x200W one looks reasonably priced.

GEetjan

Screwed up my name: GEetjan should be Gertjan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.