Another Tripath Opportunity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FYI: 41hz.com has started taking orders for their AMP3. It's based on the Tripath TA2021B chip and the kit supplies the board and parts.

The parts look to be of reasonable quality and the board is promised to be better quality than the SI. It has a few more watts than the TA2024 and it'll be interesting to see if the TA2021B has the same magic as the TA2024...

I just discovered it being for sale this morning and thought some others may want to jump in.:D
Henry

They do indeed look promising.

One word of caution. Most or all of the parts are surface mount so you have to be up for that...

I had an email exchange with them and suggested that they might want to also have kits where the signal path parts were not SMD or have a board with presoldered components. Their website has a forum and also an FAQ where they discuss working with SMD parts.

Best,

Paul

mourip said:
One word of caution. Most or all of the parts are surface mount so you have to be up for that...

Yes, that's the part that gives me anxiety, but I do want to try it. I've had a little good AND bad luck with surface mount components so far. I'll probably try to mount better input caps (Auricaps?) as leads. It seems that good caps will cost about as much as the board.:(

ohenry said:

Yes, that's the part that gives me anxiety, but I do want to try it. I've had a little good AND bad luck with surface mount components so far. I'll probably try to mount better input caps (Auricaps?) as leads. It seems that good caps will cost about as much as the board.:(

We will cheer you on wildly from the sidelines. Let us know how it goes!

The Auricaps might not be too expensive since you can look for lower voltage versions. Also you need to think about what your amp will compare to when you are done. You could be enjoying megabuck sound for under a couple hundred dollars.

Best,

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.