Another Tripath Opportunity - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2005, 07:17 PM   #1
ohenry is offline ohenry  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Another Tripath Opportunity

FYI: 41hz.com has started taking orders for their AMP3. It's based on the Tripath TA2021B chip and the kit supplies the board and parts.

The parts look to be of reasonable quality and the board is promised to be better quality than the SI. It has a few more watts than the TA2024 and it'll be interesting to see if the TA2021B has the same magic as the TA2024...

I just discovered it being for sale this morning and thought some others may want to jump in.
Henry
Old 13th March 2005, 08:08 PM   #2
mourip is offline mourip  United States
diyAudio Member

They do indeed look promising.

One word of caution. Most or all of the parts are surface mount so you have to be up for that...

I had an email exchange with them and suggested that they might want to also have kits where the signal path parts were not SMD or have a board with presoldered components. Their website has a forum and also an FAQ where they discuss working with SMD parts.

Best,

Paul
Old 14th March 2005, 10:41 PM   #3
ohenry is offline ohenry  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mourip
One word of caution. Most or all of the parts are surface mount so you have to be up for that...
Yes, that's the part that gives me anxiety, but I do want to try it. I've had a little good AND bad luck with surface mount components so far. I'll probably try to mount better input caps (Auricaps?) as leads. It seems that good caps will cost about as much as the board.
Old 14th March 2005, 11:09 PM   #4
mourip is offline mourip  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ohenry

Yes, that's the part that gives me anxiety, but I do want to try it. I've had a little good AND bad luck with surface mount components so far. I'll probably try to mount better input caps (Auricaps?) as leads. It seems that good caps will cost about as much as the board.
We will cheer you on wildly from the sidelines. Let us know how it goes!

The Auricaps might not be too expensive since you can look for lower voltage versions. Also you need to think about what your amp will compare to when you are done. You could be enjoying megabuck sound for under a couple hundred dollars.

Best,

Paul
Old 15th March 2005, 05:49 AM   #5
spots25 is offline spots25  United States
diyAudio Member

very interesting! I think I'll order one here pretty quick. Should be a fun little project, although I haven't done any 'real' soldering for a few years now, I should be able to handle it

Hide this!Advertise here!