UCD info: Philips DFR9000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=230

Also in the ‘Home Entertainment’ range is the DFR9000 multichannel digital receiver, which has been designed to partner the DVP9000S. Like the DVP9000S, the DFR9000 can be linked via HDMI, allowing digital transfer of video and audio. It features Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES decoders, and has an integrated DAB digital radio tuner.
DVP9000S multi-channel digital receiver

The receiver is also equipped with Faroudja DCDi processing, upscales video to 1080i resolution and also features CD upsampling. Both the DVP9000S and DFR9000 are due for release next month, priced at £400 each

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I can translate the page if really needed. Here are the interesting parts (?).

Unique top class UCD (Universal Class D) digital amplifiers:
Top class UCD digital amplifier is fully digital Class D amplifier which is designed to minimize impedance and give the best audio measurement results. The performance of UCD digital amplifier will satisfy the most demanding enthusiast.

Metal base and circuits: Excellent sound reproduction
The player has a reinforced base which is braced and shielded to decrease electromagnetic interference and vibration. The audio circuits are based on careful listening tests and top class components are chosen after carefull audio measurements. Other components are also carefully chosen to ensure unique listening experience.

CD oversampling improves cd sound quality:
CD oversampling is a modern sound processing technique which improves the sound quality of normal cd's by increasing time resolution and sampling rate.

My english is far from perfect but I suppose that my translation is somewhat easier to understand than finnish :confused:

I wonder if this thing feeds SACD DSD stream directly to the amps...

Brunoooo? :) Could you comment on the quality of this thing please?

It has amazing stuff going on at its price tag... Faroudja scaling of sources is a wow... SACD decoding is wow...

Too bad it's only 6.1, 7.1 would be really neat :)

So what do these junkers have to do with DIY anyway? :)

"Top class UCD digital amplifier is fully digital Class D amplifier "

I'm willing to bet Bruno did not write that statement. As Bruno may tell you himself UCD is analog, there's nothing digital about it, I'd even bet he wouldn't even be pleased with that. Right, Ivan?

Also, UCD was never designed to give best measurement results, and it doesn't, it was designed to give decent/respectable measurement results, and best sonic results.

That's just a bunch of marketing blabber.

I think by saying that it's "digital" and "fully digital" they're trying to tap into the bigger market of ignorance.

There is a Russian proverb: "You can call me a saucepan even, just don't push me into the furnace".

Other point is most interesting -Philips have a start for UcD amp using(not only license) and i see no reason for stop. Today we can find in the any tv's the Philips chips, then tomorrow would be found the UcD too. The next question is -Why they waited so long?;)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Interesting...

three discrete dual-channel UcD modules

I'll pop the question as I'm sure otherwise someone else will, what discrete dual-channel UcD modules would that be?

The only IC that can be used with the UcD concept is the TDA8939, all other class-D ICs Philips manufacturers are the PWM modulator type of class-D amplifiers.

TDA8939, class-D 7.5A power comparator
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/TDA8939TH_N1.html

Would I be correct to assume the DFR9000 uses the TDA8939, or is there so other mystery Philips part not listed on their website?

Best regards,

Sander Sassen
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

Re: Specs ???

marconist said:
Look at:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=DFR9000/01&searchtxt=dfr9000&slg=ENG&scy=NL

Quite a lot of information, but ..... the audio output specs look silly and differs from the data sheet.
The specs are not just those of the amplifier. They include the rest of the on-board signal processing circuitry as well. I find most consumer goods designers have serious problems making small signal electronics that produces less distortion and noise than the power amplifier. One would normally expect the power amplifier to dominate the THD figure but the current breed of consumer boxes have made me readjust to a different reality :(

SSassen said:
I'll pop the question as I'm sure otherwise someone else will, what discrete dual-channel UcD modules would that be?

The only IC that can be used with the UcD concept is the TDA8939, all other class-D ICs Philips manufacturers are the PWM modulator type of class-D amplifiers.
I wouldn't have said discrete if it contained the TDA8939. Philips makes their own discrete UcD modules (they're entitled to that). It's similar in circuitry to the UcD180, but it has two channels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.