Class D is nonaudiophile, not hi fi system, they are saying that!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I realized the technology had really matured when...

A friend of mine that loves triodes, and ownes a pair of 300B SE mono-blocks, bought a Tact digital amp. :bigeyes: This is the same guy who descibes almost all SS amps that he has heard as high-priced angle-grinders. He hates the sound, and his whole system is basically tube with Tannoy Autograph corner horns and ribbon tweeters on the end. When Chris (his name) said that he has bought a tube amp, I knew that digital has finally become a real and viable alternative. :)

Enjoy,
Deon

Then there is the other camp, the ones who follow their ears; the ones who decide based on what they hear. The ones who know what Real Music sounds like.

Class D amplification IMHO simply serves the music better, and is a better compromise overall. Crystalline highs, warm mids, jackhammer bass control, rise time of lightning thru battery power. Transient impact at lower listening levels.

Hi,

Yes, some are resistant, some are cautious, others are ignorant. Two of which you can have hope for. My remarks would have been geared towards those who latch onto the myths without even trusting their own ears or for that matter admitting to them. Those who would be aware of the current happenings yet deny the facts, simply to deny them based on false beliefs... yeah, ignorant.

The others will follow, by will or by force:

Ten years from they'll be teaching class d in schools and it will go something like:

"Why "D" instead of "A" or "B" or.."

"Because it's digital"

Don't go ranting on me now, I know that's not the reason for the "D", but I'm saying in a period of time "D" will take over as the every day amp and the others will largely be forgotten.. except for the tube guys, they'll still be around :)

I for one, recently realized I had lost my taste for thermionic distortion. An interesting anecdote from a reformed Pentodist Preacher.

Cool, a convert! What was it that pushed you over, did it start with a U and end with a D? Usee?..D! :clown:

jackhammer bass control

Effortless bass is indeed one of the major advantages of class-d. A PA guy that I know was always complaining about "weak bass from digital amps" (I can't stand this naming BTW) and I assume that's where the bad reputation of class-d comes from:
If a topology sounds bad where it should actually excel then this points to a bad and/or cheap implementation (in this case a weak PSU).

Regards

Charles

In a word, "more." More of everything.

Especially the you-are-there factor. When it starts putting you in the venue and allowing you to hear backplane reflections behind and above the recording stage, etc., when you turn off the lights and your walls melt away, when your jaw drops every night, then its done. In the service of The Music, then there is no question, only arguments and preferences. As to the argument, I could care less. It is all about the music, whose cause seemingly gets lost, often. As to preferences, I prefer MORE.

The more you know the real acoustic overtones and complex harmonics of actual acoustic instruments, the more likely you will be to be a convert. That is what I have seen over and over and...

when you start using outstanding speakers, when you get rid of the crossovers, when you get off the National Electrical Grid, it starts to get scary good. Waaaaaay More.

I gonna send a roastbrattwurst sausage to you Mike

As you are turning very bad with my Philips, you told he may be crab (hehe...the other word is erased automatically in our forum)

No hungry man?....well, think another use or put aside to use latter.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• bratwurst_thumb.jpg
    bratwurst_thumb.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 238
Re: I gonna send a roastbrattwurst sausage to you Mike

destroyer X said:
As you are turning very bad with my Philips, you told he may be crab (hehe...the other word is erased automatically in our forum)

No hungry man?....well, think another use or put aside to use latter.

regards,

Carlos

Njam, njam, njam...
Can't remember having called your Philips "crab"... ???

Mike

dmason said:
Then there is the other camp, the ones who follow their ears; the ones who decide based on what they hear. The ones who know what Real Music sounds like.

I'd like to think that describes me but I do listen to MP3's and internet streams most of the day now.......

Oddly though, I've bought more CDs over the last year since I started doing that than anytime prior! My previous concern was whether or not track #5 on the "Uraguan Highland Birdcalls Unplugged" had enough palpable presence with the latest series of amplifier mods I'd effected. I don't think I or my friends actually listened to much of anything back then other than 10 second A-B sections.

That being said, I am very excited by the degree of freedom class-D offers. With well sorted reference designs coming right from the chip manufacturers, it is putting great sounding products within reach of nearly anyone. Really, that is supposed to be how it works. I wonder though if the audio community at large will embrace these newcomers or consider them the barbarian horde at the gates of the sonic citadel?

:dead:

speakers

classd4sure said:
Hi,

Detail and "focus" are something that seems to come rather easy even to crappy class D's, it's almost hard to miss.

Some people still seem to think semiconductors can't make for a good amplifier regardless of class, these types aren't the ones you'll ever convince otherwise. They've latched onto a particular audio myth and will die with it. I don't think it makes them smart, but rather ignorant.

The guy may be bright in his field of programming but it doesn't mean he's got any clue whatsoever.

Speaker said there is a place for these people too, I agree, someone has to buy the lesser amplifiers :)

Of course in this case serious quality class d's haven't actually been around very long and not everyone is so diligent in their research. Some will come up to speed and others will stay ignorant, so be it.

Cheers

Yes, how do they do that. As you say, this is my experience as well, even cheap class D has better detail, focus, imaging than conventional AB. Well, in my case, the cheapest (finished product)class D was my 4-channel tripath based marantz for about 1000$. Of course UcD can be even cheaper and sounds much better than that Marantz. What is it that does this? I`m an electrical engineer, my standpiont is that if you can hear it, you must be able to measure it, you just have to find the right measurement method.

Any ideas?

Gertjan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.