Rectifier diodes for UcD 400

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have read the interesting thread on the power supply and I'm going to capitalize on it for designing the power supplies for my 6-channel power amp.

My original intention was to use the following diodes:

HFA25PB60 from International Rectifier, 25A/600V/23ns, TO-247, Ultrafast, Soft Recovery

They are extremely expensive, though, at EUR 3.73 each (at Schuro) but I can't get Schuro to answer my emails and faxes and, besides, I need 24 of them!

Can anybody suggest a suitable replacement? Are there any alternatives, even with a different technology?

Didn't Bruno (the UcD desogner) suggest that a normal 'block' bridge was well up to the job? I will be using GBPC3502 in dual bridge configuration.

I originally was going to go the discrete diode route, but it would cost about 10x the price by the time you have finished and use up loads more space. IMO it's throwing (wasting) money at something that could be spent far more effectively elsewhere, or not at all. 50Hz sinewave mains is simply not fast nor sharp! Even with massive cap bank resulting in small conduction angle, it's still no faster, just shorter.

Hello,

My experience with Schuro.de is that you have to properly write in german. Don't mind try to telephone, they're much to busy. I ordered, the day after was the first reply. In one week they asked several questions about payment, delivery etc. over e-mail. Payment in front, half a week later the package arrived, Very carefully packed and sealed! I'm very impressed by the complete handling of Schuro!. Just write in German!

Now building a UcD 180 AD8620 with 2 softstarts (selfbuild)/2 340VA 30v High-end trafo's/4 bridge's/4 x 10.000 Slit-foil caps from Schuro with a passive laddertype attenuator en input-selector as pre-amp. (sort of integrated dual mono classD amplifier

I use the standard cheapo rectifiers as is mentioned in the TnT-article. They would do the job easely with no heat-problems.

Maybe alter trying better one's

Greetz Wowly

I'm using a single KBPC3508 (block rectifier 35A) in my test setup, with 2 BC-components 63V/22.000uF caps, nothing else - the noise of my pre-amp (yamaha DSP-A2 with processor off) is eclipseing the noise of the UcD400's (if you can call that noise...)

I don't see the point in "high-end" recitiers for UcD.

Yves

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.