Sonic Impact

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LOL...

...and it's right back out of stock!

I got mine from SI-5.com direct, it costed me $45 shipped, but at least I HAVE IT.

PLUS, they gave me the black SoundPax speakers and carry-all bag for free...so that was a nice little bonus toy to play with.

I am so excited...I have an awesome rig coming together, will be going to the lumber shop today to get wood cut for my Fostex FE206E drivers (96dB efficiency!) and then I'll be getting my badass Dantimax remote controlled preamp/input switcher (fully discrete switching):

http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/index.html

(Click on "remote 3")

BOO YAH!

Re: An easy way

sirmistermatt said:
to get the amp would be to buy the SoundPax system from amazon for $49.99 (which is what I did for my second amp...tired of waiting and scared of permanent out-of-stocks, hassle not worth the extra $20 to me):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...43933-3360952?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

Best,
Matt

The only downside of buying the Soundpax is that the amps are the first version, 2003 vintage. The 2004 vintage amps are built a little better.
My biggest gripe with the early amps is the el cheapo grey ribbon cable used for signal wiring. The later ones use a better quality wire.
The early ones also do not have the protection diodes on the outputs. This may be good for the sonics.

George

...but when you plan to remove the ribbon, first-gens may have a cleaner output stage due to the lack of (surely low-quality) protection diodes. ...I have read that low-qual diodes can introduce a varying capacitance...not good.

I built mine off the early generation board, but plan to build my next off two later-model boards running one channel each. I will definately look into the removal of the protection diodes for comparison purposes once I get it all together.

(just waiting on my back-order to ship)

--BillyM

I guess I'll be the first lithuanian to have it:)
ordered it form spectrumaudio.de for 50EUR, should arrive in few days

However, friends of mine think that I am certainly crazy...They ask me, how can you BUY an amp without listening to it first (???)

well, I'll take my chances:)

and thanks to a guy from Germany, who has informed me about spectrumaudio.de

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.