Tripath TA0104A and TA0105A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep, so I've heard about 105, it's for high impedance systems.

These is some coliding information on the web about the chips Carvers and Evos are based on. The manual (Carver) states 103 and 104 as the chip but I've read that TK2350 is the chip that they are using

Anybody has the right info ?

Well it seems that TK2350 is that the only way to go for audiophile purposed i.e.

Janaf your modules require extensive SMD work :bawling: (at least for me !) so it's out of the question. Do you have any plans selling a complete kit with all parts soldered (or at least these tiny parts)?

I may just have to science this thing out soon & report back.

speaker

Attachments

• ta0104db.jpg
    ta0104db.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 914
Blmn you have to do on your own or find someone to do that for you.

If you want to sell them I'm interested. I know someone that *might* help me. The evaluation boards had some flaws that could be corrected if you design the mainboard from zero. Not only that but you can attatch the parts you want - I hate desoldering :xeye:

savvas said:
The evaluation boards had some flaws that could be corrected if you design the mainboard from zero.

savvas - do you have more details on the flaws found on the evaluation board? As I have one, I'd be curious. I do see some resistor/diode "teepees" and a regulator added after the fact on the board already. I can't find anything online other than the base data sheet detailing the TA0104 chip. Tripath has either pulled down the evaluation board docs or never posted them at all. Anything additional you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

speaker

Speaker if your evaluation board comes from a later production circle it would have many problems solved.

You can download the evaluation board info for Elatec's site. Here is the file
http://www.elateceurope.com/tripath/pdf/EB_TA0104.pdf

I see that in your boards you have the inductors placed horizontally so I guess that it's a later board. Good. One of the main problems of these boards is that Tripath choose to make them small and as cheap as possible. All parts are crushed together and there is a lot of interfierence between them, especially the inductors. If you can put them as far away as can from the other parts.

I've seen a lot of boards with the plastic cover taken off. Well the chips operation temprature is not that high and there is a chance of breaking them in the process so I wouldn't tried removing the plastic if there is any.

The channels should be wider and capacitors should be rated at higher voltage (above 100V for sure). Add a softstart circuit for safety. The PSU is very important too. Choose a toroid (sorry but good switching PSU cost and I doubt that they're as good as a good as linear ones) at least 1000VA with very fast diodes.

Good luck.

savvas said:
One of the main problems of these boards is that Tripath choose to make them small and as cheap as possible. All parts are crushed together and there is a lot of interfierence between them, especially the inductors. If you can put them as far away as can from the other parts.

IMO spacing is a dilemma, as placing parts far apart increases the lead lengths and the leads emitt and pick up interference.

savvas said:
There is a fine guide for tripath's 104 chip by Christopher Brodersen in .doc format which I can find in the web (not even in Christopher's website).

If anybody's interested I could email it (~300 kb compressed) ;)

savvas = :angel:

Definitely, I'd like to get this info from you. My email access if open. Very much appreciated!

speaker

savvas said:
The PSU is very important too. Choose a toroid (sorry but good switching PSU cost and I doubt that they're as good as a good as linear ones) at least 1000VA with very fast diodes.

Good luck.

Forgot to show you this the power supply that came with it. Appears to be the factory evaluation board companion. I will be re-packaging it in a more usable form. Your documentation will greatly ease the task of doing so. Thank you for the .pdf of the evaluation board itself too!

speaker

Attachments

• ta0104ps.jpg
    ta0104ps.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 549
OK I've just corrected my email configuration but sending private messages won't work 'cause I can't attach anything.

Please email me

About the .doc, it's 10 pages and contains couple of images and it mentions exactly which parts to use, their price and where to find them.

Another DIYer with very good knowledge about Tripath modules is Kostas Tsarouxas. In the following link you can see one of the amplifiers Kostas has made
http://www.avforum.gr/showarticles.php3?topic=18&subtopic=8759

* contains large image files * be patient

sloth2, I'll try and find it, it's not in my current hard disk, could be lost due to formated partition. Will report asap.
Sorry for the dead link in my previous post (avforum closed long time ago - ahh those were the good old days folks)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.