Teac AL700P questions..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is too bad there isn't more hardcore feedback on these amplifiers here. Seems like once they hit the discounters, they were gone! I tried to get a hold of set at the time I posted to this thread in March 2005 & they were already coming up as "Out Of Stock".

:(

I have mine tucked away in the closet... (I bought a Decware amp around the same time and use it most of the time.) The Teac is a nice sounding amp. I bought mine from Canadian HiFi (I think, it's been awhile.) It cost me about $200 (US) I saw they were going for around $100 at one time.
I've thought about putting the Teac on ebay, but I probably wouldn't get my money back on it. So, it will live in the closet for now...
Mike

I've just finished a set of modifications to my Teac and wondered if anyone else had tried one of them yet with any success.

Most talk I've seen concerns removing one of the boards or using the two as monoblocks.
Following discussions about the TK2500 chipset and after consulting the Tripath site I’ve retained both boards and modified the small motherboard they plug into to effectively wire the 2 amps on each board in parallel, one board then for each stereo channel.

Theory says same power but greater low load driving ability and 4 ohms speakers are now possible without tripping the protection at anything approaching high power.
Downsides are more signal level required at the input for the same overall volume levels I believe but so far at first listening everything seems ok.
I have taken the opportunity to replace the input caps with some Elna Startgets, the 5v caps with some Silmics, the on board power caps with Panosonic 1,800uf FC's and deleted the volume pots on the input.

If anyone is interested I will post later on the sound when I have had a chance to undertake extended listening.

In a few words, don't do it!

I've listened long and hard to my modified Teac and paralleling the channels was a disaster sound quality wise.
Yes, there may be more power on offer and a theoretical ability to drive low loads better but it doesn’t transpire into that in the real world.

The bass became weak and anaemic, midrange strangely recessed and the treble confused. I would have sworn I was listening to a cheap transistor amp as all of the Tripath trademarks were awol.

Things became so bad that listening to well known music was a chore and eventually I went back to my Amp 3 and Amp 6 for respite and to make sure I was not dreaming or having a series of off days.
Happy to say sanity was resumed within 5 minutes of installing the Amp 3.

So, having sat and contemplated my navel for a day or two I finally got up the courage to rebuild the Teac back to standard with the only change being the input coupling caps which were Elna Stargets and running with a single board.
I've done listening comparisons between the stock power supply caps and the Panosonics I tried and find the stock caps sweeter, strange?

Which leaves me thinking that perhaps the way forward is battery power and maybe hardwiring to the inputs and outputs.

With the generous help of Puffin Ive modded this baby to the best of my ability. The sound (with a bottlehead quickie tube preamp kit) is a lot fuller and it doesnt sound like its clipping at higher volumes. Its a more robust sound at comfortably loud listening levels but it still will clip when pushed. Im waiting for some BHC caps for the power supply which my noob ears hope will help with the bass a little more. The bass is better but not as well defined as the stock amp. I hope this helps and if anyone has any questions I hope I can help.

First of all I wish everyone a happy new year. It so happens that I have one unmodded Teac and some left over caps lying around (22.000uF; 35V), are these too big? Could someone make some suggestions in the capacitor modification department?
Thank you in advance and please do excuse me for my poor English.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.