Has anybody experience with the ICEpower ASP modules? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2005, 01:31 PM   #1
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Japan
Question Has anybody experience with the ICEpower ASP modules?

Hello all,

Has anybody experience with the ICEpower ASP modules?

Jeff Rowland uses them in 10k$ amps, so they can't be that bad.

I have checked the data sheets of these amps. They do some things less nice than the UcD amps. Such as a freq. response that is more dependent on the load and distortion that increases with frequency. I also don't like the fact that they have half the power supply voltage at the speaker outputs.

I have never heard them, anybody any comments?

Best regards

Gertjan
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2005, 04:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Europe
yes, I have heard them and own some, but I have not used them or tested them in a DIY way, yet.

I recently bought a PS Audio GCC500 amp, to replace a Krell KRC HR / FPB600, powering Martin Logan Ascent i speakers. This amp uses two 1000ASP modules. It's a very impressive sounding amp, not necessarily worse or better than the Krells it replaced. Seems to have limitlesss power & authority, and a load of detail too.

Now, I would love to get hold of a further two 1000ASP modules, to bi-amp the bass units of my Ascent i speakers. I've only found one place that will sell them to me, but they are really expensive, 530 Euros each I think. It's almost better for me to buy two eAR 1001 monoblocks, with their nice cases, to acccomplish this.

Does anyone know where or how to buy the ASP modules? I know you can get the A versions easily enough but I want matching ASPs!

Thanks,
unclemonty
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2005, 11:34 PM   #3
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally posted by unclemonty
yes, I have heard them and own some, but I have not used them or tested them in a DIY way, yet.

I recently bought a PS Audio GCC500 amp, to replace a Krell KRC HR / FPB600, powering Martin Logan Ascent i speakers. This amp uses two 1000ASP modules. It's a very impressive sounding amp, not necessarily worse or better than the Krells it replaced. Seems to have limitlesss power & authority, and a load of detail too.

Now, I would love to get hold of a further two 1000ASP modules, to bi-amp the bass units of my Ascent i speakers. I've only found one place that will sell them to me, but they are really expensive, 530 Euros each I think. It's almost better for me to buy two eAR 1001 monoblocks, with their nice cases, to acccomplish this.

Does anyone know where or how to buy the ASP modules? I know you can get the A versions easily enough but I want matching ASPs!

Thanks,
unclemonty


Hi Unclemonty,

Thanks for the info, yes the EAR cases look nice. Maybe we get some more replies of people that have heard both UcD and these ICE modules. Access to UcD is easy and they are not expensive, they are very nice for DIY. Just would like to know how these ICE amps compare with them.

Best regards

Gertjan
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2005, 07:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Septimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Send a message via AIM to Septimus
Default ICEpower

Just happened across this thread.

I work for Bang & Olufsen. I'm into DIY audio as a hobby despite working for B&O. We invented the ICEpower technology and license it out to other companies. ICE stands for Intelligent, compact, efficient FYI.

If you ever want to hear these amps, stop by a store sometime, bring a favorite CD of yours and ask to listen to the $17,000/pr BeoLab5's. These have digital input, analog devices DAC's, room correction for the bass freq. with built in mic and active XO's. They have 4 ICE amps in them, 250W on the 1" tweet, 250W on the 3" dome midrange, 1000W on a 6.5" midbass, and another 1000W on a down-firing 15" sub. Even the power supply uses the ICE technology in some way i'm told!

They're quite interesting, and they SLAM with an immediecy i've not heard from any other speaker, you should give them a listen
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2005, 08:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Antwerp
The sweetest thing about ICEpower modules is the ASP series, if you can get your hands on these puppies it's plug&play, power supply in incorporated in the modules.

It would be so nice to have a small efficient switching power supply to feed UcD modules - sure the modules are small, but the toroids needed are *huge* !
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2005, 09:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Switzerland
Quote:
If you ever want to hear these amps, stop by a store sometime, bring a favorite CD of yours and ask to listen to the $17,000/pr BeoLab5's.
Thanks for the short commercial, but where can we listen to the amp technology in a DECENT system ??

What is the minimum amount of modules that have to be ordered that B&O wants to make a deal at all ?

Regards

Charles
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2005, 10:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Europe
You can buy them here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

but it's way too expensive for something that costs <$100 OEM.

Perhaps Karsten at http://www.cadaudio.dk/ might be able to obtain them as he seems to be able to source the A versions of the modules?

Karsten?

unclemonty
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2005, 02:24 PM   #8
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally posted by unclemonty
You can buy them here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

but it's way too expensive for something that costs <$100 OEM.

Perhaps Karsten at http://www.cadaudio.dk/ might be able to obtain them as he seems to be able to source the A versions of the modules?

Karsten?

unclemonty

Hi Unclemonty,

I had a closer look at the cadaudio link. I'm not really considering buying ICEpower modules at this stage, just interested in whether somebody knows how they perform (the new ASP series), especially in comparison with UcD.

I find the switched power supplies on the CADaudio site however very interesting. It seems that they only sell them in combination with an amp. I was thinking of using a switched power supply for my UcD modules. The switched mode supply would be regulated and the power factor could possibly be better than with a linear supply. A linear supply with large caps will draw very large current peaks during a very short time (at the peak of the sine wave, 100 times per second). This maybe better (less) with a switched supply. And since the amp is already switched, why not using a switched supply?

Maybe a good idea for Hypex to develop switched supplies as well?

Does anybody know of other vendors for switched power supplies for audio applications?

Best regards

Gertjan
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2005, 03:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Septimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Send a message via AIM to Septimus
Well, believe me, they are more than decent, just didn't know if anybody knew where these amps came from and he had asked where he could here some. It wasn't a commercial, if I thought they were the end-all be-all I wouldn't be doing the DIY thing as a hobby.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2005, 03:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Septimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Send a message via AIM to Septimus
Oh, and I have no idea what amount you would need to purchase, but its more on the order of like, buying the rights to manufacture yourself, B&O wouldn't sell any modules themselves.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Icepower Modules spchu Class D 15 23rd May 2011 11:24 PM
Anyone w/ ICEpower Experience (500ASP) speaker Class D 8 11th December 2006 06:39 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:42 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2