SI System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I gave up waiting on PCMall to send more 5066's for 19.95 each. Ordering one from SI for 45.00 delivered.
It arrived with a pair of the triangular speakers and back pack. The speakers also have to go down as a great audio bargain. There cannot be a better pair of 20.00 speakers out there.
The speakers explain why the input circuitry of the 5066 is rolled off. They cannot do real bass, so all the power would be eaten up driving them full range. Guess the amp was designed to get used with the limited bass SI speakers and not get used with normal full rangers.
The sound of the pair is very nice. I mainly listen to classical music and they sound great on that. They are awfull on male spoken voice, the NPR announcers show the tubby resonant sound coming from the vibrating cardboard. But on music the sound is much, much better.
Do not plan on replacing my homemade 120 lb horns with the throw in speakers, but could definately listen to the SI speakers casually.
Makes me wonder what the SI disc player sounds like. Hate to think it might beat my modified Marantz SA-8260. May have to buy one and give it to the wife or kids if up to the quality of the amp and speakers.

George

George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.