IRFB52N15D Bridge - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2005, 06:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Wheberth
Question IRFB52N15D Bridge

Hi Guys!

IŽd like to know what do you think about a full bridge with 8 IRFB52N15D mosfets. I will use two IR2010 MGD and the dead time will be inserted by a discrete circuit. This circuit need to be able to supply at least 2kW into a 1 ohm load. IŽd like to know also if do you know any overcurrent/short-circuit protection.

Sorry about my english!

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hbridge.jpg (57.0 KB, 804 views)
Old 19th January 2005, 05:04 PM   #2
IVX is offline IVX  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

i like irfb52n15 using, but you need only 100v mosfets yet. As far as i know at the such power if PCB isn't optimal implemented (that's usual for the first 10 attempt at least;-) ir2110 can work not so much robust. To prevent chip damage put the schotky between Vs-HO and COM-LO. Please keep equal all the gate resistors! :-)
Old 20th January 2005, 07:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

And what do you think about IRFP90N50D mosfet instead 2 x IRFB52N15D Because I'd like to get 2kW into 4 ohms too.

About dthe MGD i will use IR 2010 not 2110.

Thank you Ivan
Old 20th January 2005, 07:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

2010 or 2110 no matter,IMHO..

http://ec.irf.com/v6/en/US/adirect/i...ame=IRFP90N50D
Number of products found: 0.
Old 20th January 2005, 03:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry. Ivan
I mean IRFP90N20D and IR2010

Thank you
Old 21st January 2005, 08:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

IRFP90N20D is too heavy, actually IRFB52N15 (singles in the H bridge) will give 2800w@4ohm.

PS: Folks, i'm still misunderstand such power requirements as UcD700/1000, or your 2000w@4ohm.. really, maybe i'm not so young (37y.o.) or something other
Old 21st January 2005, 09:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,

another thing that I can recommend is use of complementary emiter follower pairs as buffers on outputs of IR2110. FMMT618 and FMMT718 from Zetex are highly recommended.

Best regards,

Jaka Racman
Old 21st January 2005, 02:23 PM   #8
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaka Racman
Hi,

another thing that I can recommend is use of complementary emiter follower pairs as buffers on outputs of IR2110. FMMT618 and FMMT718 from Zetex are highly recommended.

Best regards,

Jaka Racman
Hi, can you tell me why that would be beneficial? Is it because a FET output stage doesn't have a constant output impedance?

IVX, such power is good for driving motors with, this way after you go deaf you can still use it for something
Old 21st January 2005, 08:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris,

IR2110 output stage is unsymmetrical, upper driver is source follower, while lower driver is common source. This results in relatively slow gate rise (large tail) times and moderate gate fall times with large Mosfets. At 400kHz typical class D switching frequency those times are too slow and also power dissipation in IR2110 would be to high, since combined gate resistor is 2.8 Ohm which is even lower than 3 Ohm (IIRC) channel resistance of internal drivers. I use IR drivers with relatively large IGBTs with 2.2 Ohm gate resistors and rise and fall times are improved with emiter follower pairs. Those SOT23 devices from Zetex can source and sink 12A pulse current which is considrably more than 2A specification of IR driver alone. If you are interested I can post some scope pics of gate signals with and without buffers on Monday.

Best regards,

Jaka Racman
Old 21st January 2005, 09:31 PM   #10
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Hi Jaka,

Thanks for the explanation.

Zetex has a number of devices in the same general category which look good, but the ones you mentioned in question do seem like the defacto standard for driving mosfets with, it would be nice to see them in action, so yes I'm interested, if it's not too much trouble those scope pics would be educational.

I've noticed they have slightly lower power dissipation capability over other comparable Zetex BJT's but they sport lower Vsat amongst the higher current/beta ones. I'm using them in my current "design".

I can't help but think, having to buffer the driver seems to negate the purpose of having one, but I guess you still get a very fast and efficient level shift out of it.

Best regards

Hide this!Advertise here!