Kicker DX700 classD; how can it drive a 1ohm load? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2005, 06:08 AM   #1
SHOdown is offline SHOdown  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Kicker DX700 classD; how can it drive a 1ohm load?

The mosfets are house numbered (75639) Intersil TO-247 type packages, driven by a HIP4080AIP.
Can I parallel a second set of four outputs to be able to run into a 1 ohm load? I have 2, 4ohm DVC subs so my choices are halve the output power of the amp at a 4 ohm load, melt it into a puddle of slag at a 1 ohm load, or find a way to make it do what I want.
I will be happy to supply any additional info needed to help.
Old 15th January 2005, 08:47 AM   #2
IVX is offline IVX  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

the HUF75639 ( in the half bridge one) would be ok to 1om load for +/-45v rails and up to 78 deg C, but the internal DC/DC(12v/45v) needs to check to ability for double power too.
Old 15th January 2005, 10:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your rapid reply. I would of course love to have double the current over a 2 ohm load, but will be happy as long as I achieve approximately >=700w and it doesn't go China Syndrome on me.

What is the best method to insure the power supply can handle the increased current demands, and do I need to make other changes to the components that control the outputs?

I have much to learn yet.

Does anyone know of a cross for the Stillwater (Kicker) house numbered Intersil 75639?
Old 16th January 2005, 01:17 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

IVX, do you have any further info on the 75639? Intersil only had a small press release on it, and no data sheets that I could find. Thanks for supplying the HUF prefix
Old 16th January 2005, 08:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

IVX, I found the datasheet. It seems that Fairchild is now manufacturing the HUF75639G3. I was able to find both the Intersil and Fairchild datasheet's and compare them. The newer Fairchild datasheet looks to be an edited version of the original Intersil file.

I repair electronics for a living so I have gotten rather good at scrounging up information on obscure parts, but I was getting nowhere until you gave me the prefix of the part number. I don't know how you found it, but I thank you.

If I parallel another set of 4 HUF75639G3's to the outputs, will I gain anything? How about at the power supply where there are 6
HUF75639G3's in parallel, will I gain anything by adding more?

My intention is to lower the workload of the individual output by spreading the work out more. I am utterly ignorant of electrical design with MOSFETS, so I am wanting to know if I am on the right track here.
Old 16th January 2005, 01:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

SHOdown,
Next time try the search by google- "75639 TO220" :-).
I repair electronics for a money, it's my stupid day job
Oops, you kicker have a H-bridge topology, so you really need to add four huf's(with gate(pin#1) resistor(same value as on the exist huf's) for each) else.
What about dc/dc convertor parameters: transformer dimensions&turns, mosfets type and quantity, rectifiers type, rails voltage?
Old 17th January 2005, 02:56 AM   #7
subwo1 is offline subwo1  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Ivan. I sure found it hard to survive repairing electronics for a living.

I ran into trouble when I paralleled MOSFETs by running separate gate resistors. When I tried doing it that way in my power supplies, I always got shorted MOSFETs. I found that I had to connect the MOSFET gates directly together after paralleling the resistors.

I wonder why it is commonly accepted to separate the gates of the parallel MOSFETs from each other. I am not certain of how the devices interact to self-destruct, but one reason push-pull topologies seem to survive the "normal" way is that the leakage inductance of the transformer buffers opposing devices from each other. I actually tried a totem pole this way--set up two transformer windings between the the MOSFETs. The MOSFETs did not blow when the gates were isolated. Unless maybe I just did this test on the simulator and am suffering from mental fog. But I certainly did do it with a standard push-pull circuit and the MOSFETs survived.

In a standard totem pole, I discovered that relatively large gate resistors are needed to prevent destruction unless the gates are connected together. Those are the results I found.

Best Regards
Old 17th January 2005, 10:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Actually, i'm too lazy and always use single mosfets,
but my repairing experience gave me many examples such implementations (i.e. unshorted gate nodes).
Any dc/dc push-pull convertor from the caraudio amps have same circuit.
About totem pole case see attached.pdf
I have bad feeling about paralleling mosfets generally, and can see only economical reason here, because irf640, irf9640 is pretty cheap.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf agent d audio.pdf (14.4 KB, 191 views)
Old 17th January 2005, 11:31 AM   #9
subwo1 is offline subwo1  United States
diyAudio Member

Besides, there shouldn't be a need use more MOSFETs in a circuit than needed for the project. It is much easier to drill holes and mount two devices than four, also.

One reason car audio may get away with doing totem poles with separate gate connections is that the voltage across the MOSFETs is lower than rectified mains voltage. The result is that the internally induced voltage on the MOSFET gates is not high enough to cause them to cross the turn-on threshold during MOSFET switching.

The separate freewheel diodes may help also by helping to keep the slower recovering body diodes from turning on as hard or as long. Maybe, too, the pack IC softens the MOSFET switching to reduce transients and spikes. But, I think the reduced "Miller effect" as described in the previous paragraph is the main factor.
Old 18th January 2005, 07:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Looks like our dispute isn't interesting for the thread initiator himself? Subwoo, isn't it?

Hide this!Advertise here!