Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2004, 03:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Class D Amplifier Website with Comparisons??

Hello -

One time I stumbled across a website devoted to Class D amplifiers. It had a comparison of many different products and talked about the sound quality. I have two questions:

1) Who knows the URL of this website?

2) How much credibility does this guy have? (In other word, how reliable are his opinions?)

Thanks,
Charles Hansen
Old 24th December 2004, 03:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

1. http://www.classd.org/indexold.html
2. Dunno, he seems to have his own metrics....
Old 24th December 2004, 03:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks for the very quick reply!
Old 25th December 2004, 02:40 PM   #4
Pan is offline Pan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Those Philips DSL circuits sounds interesting. Anyone knows more about those?

I am especially looking for a amp with extreme performance in the 1k-20k range, since those are rare on the market so far especially at decent price levels.

Id guess the ICE modules is as good as it gets in the lower octaves, however some reports on the full range sound has been less than "perfect".

Seems like the only "right" way for a multiway active solution with DSP power ala DEQX and TacT would be amps designed for optimum performance in a "narrow" band. I would like to use small switching amps for all bands, but so far Im leaning more towards ICE for the low range, ICE or some FET amps for the midrange and a class A BJT amp for the highs.

Opinions anyone?

Merry X-mas!

/Peter
Old 25th December 2004, 02:48 PM   #5
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pan

I am especially looking for a amp with extreme performance in the 1k-20k range, since those are rare on the market so far especially at decent price levels.

Id guess the ICE modules is as good as it gets in the lower octaves, however some reports on the full range sound has been less than "perfect".

Seems like the only "right" way for a multiway active solution with DSP power ala DEQX and TacT would be amps designed for optimum performance in a "narrow" band. I would like to use small switching amps for all bands, but so far Im leaning more towards ICE for the low range, ICE or some FET amps for the midrange and a class A BJT amp for the highs.

Opinions anyone?

Merry X-mas!

/Peter

All your friends will ask why you put the small amp on the lows and the big one on the highs
Old 25th December 2004, 04:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hahaa Yea I guess so!

A small IEC module feeding some monstrous subwoofers and a 500VA/26.000.uF 78W monoblock class A amp idling 350W to a 1" tweeter...

Zapsolutes if you couldnt guess .

Merry x-mas!

/Peter
Old 25th December 2004, 07:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ok so I did some reading up and realized that the Hypex modules use UCD.

/Peter
Old 26th December 2004, 02:21 AM   #8
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pan

Opinions anyone?

Merry X-mas!

/Peter

Hello Peter,

I'm using UcD amps in combination with the DEQX for an active 3-way. UcD180 are used for mid and high drivers. For the woofers I'm still using a 4-channel Tripath based Marantz amp that I had lying around. The amp for the woofers will become UcD as well in the future.

This works all very well, UcD amps behave very well when switching them on and off, so no problems to connect them directly to a tweeter.

Best regards

Gertjan
Old 26th December 2004, 03:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Gertjan,

what amps have you compared them to?

I dont doubt these switching amps are "best" in low range use but Im still uncertain for mids and especially highs... this I base on reports from others.

I have listened to an active three way with ICE to tweets, tubes to mid and SS to sub. The sound was very good but I did not compare to anything else so I wouldnt know how a good class A amps would change things in the highs.

/Peter
Old 27th December 2004, 06:10 AM   #10
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pan
Gertjan,

what amps have you compared them to?

I dont doubt these switching amps are "best" in low range use but Im still uncertain for mids and especially highs... this I base on reports from others.

I have listened to an active three way with ICE to tweets, tubes to mid and SS to sub. The sound was very good but I did not compare to anything else so I wouldnt know how a good class A amps would change things in the highs.

/Peter

Hi Peter,

I compared the UcD with the Tripath based marantz and with my Accuphase E407 integrated amp. I did that with my passive B&W CDM9NT speakers. The latter amp is considered a high-end amp by many people. But, the UcD sounds clearly better than the Accuphase. The sound is very open and very clean. You will crank up the volume much higher than you are used to since the sound stays clean. The Tripath also sounded better than the Accuphase but the difference between Accuphase and Marantz is smaller than the difference between Accuphase and UcD. The UcD is a very clear winner. The noise level of UcD is also very low, much lower than that of the Tripath and on a similar level as the Accuphase that also has very low noise of the power amp stage.

So in short, no reservations at all to use UcD for mid and high.

WIth my 3-way active system they also perform very well. I`m especially always surprised when I watch/listen to DVD movies. Since movies contain sounds that everyone encounters in daily live, it is asthonishing how real these sounds come over.

Best regards

Gertjan

Hide this!Advertise here!