Class D Amplifier Website with Comparisons?? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2004, 09:47 AM   #11
Pan is offline Pan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

/Peter
Old 29th December 2004, 02:57 PM   #12
mac is offline mac  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ghemink
I'm using UcD amps in combination with the DEQX for an active 3-way....
I'm also using the UcD modules my active DEQX-based system. UcD180's are driving my midrange and tweeters and UcD400's are on the woofers. These modules sound significantly better than the prior commercial mosfet amps that I was using and cost a whole less too.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th December 2004, 03:26 PM   #13
Pan is offline Pan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Mac, what FET amps did you use?

/Peter
Old 29th December 2004, 04:09 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Peter, Please PM me. Cheers, mac.
Old 30th December 2004, 12:54 AM   #15
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mac

I'm also using the UcD modules my active DEQX-based system. UcD180's are driving my midrange and tweeters and UcD400's are on the woofers. These modules sound significantly better than the prior commercial mosfet amps that I was using and cost a whole less too.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hi Mike,

Seems we are doing almost the same thing. I see your woofers are dipoles, is the midwoofer also a dipole? What about the ribbon tweeter?

I agree, UcD beats a lot of expensive amps easily.

Gertjan
Old 30th December 2004, 02:22 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ghemink

Hi Mike,

Seems we are doing almost the same thing. I see your woofers are dipoles, is the midwoofer also a dipole? What about the ribbon tweeter?

I agree, UcD beats a lot of expensive amps easily.

Gertjan

Hello Gertjan,

Only my woofers are dipole. The mid is the Seas W15CH001 and the tweeter is the Fountek JP2. Yes, it's a big change from my Orions but believe me, it sounds good.

I'm now anxious to upgrade the NE5532 opamps on my UdC180 modules. I was thinking of using the OPA627BP on SO8 adapters. Which opamps are you using?

Cheers,
mac.
Old 30th December 2004, 10:50 AM   #17
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mac

Hello Gertjan,

Only my woofers are dipole. The mid is the Seas W15CH001 and the tweeter is the Fountek JP2. Yes, it's a big change from my Orions but believe me, it sounds good.

I'm now anxious to upgrade the NE5532 opamps on my UdC180 modules. I was thinking of using the OPA627BP on SO8 adapters. Which opamps are you using?

Cheers,
mac.

Hi Mac,

I'm still using the UcD180 with NE5532 opamp. I replaced the 22uF coupling caps, I put BG NX types in there with a smaller value as well since the UcD amps only have to drive the tweeter and the mids. I also added some power supply decoupling close to the opamp. I don't know if all that is audible but I did it anyway. Sound is great.

For mid I use Seas Excell W18EX001 with Vifa ringradiator tweeter in MTM dipole configuration. The woofers are dipole using 2 Visaton TIW200XLS per channel.

Best regards

Gertjan
Old 30th December 2004, 11:07 AM   #18
tiki is offline tiki  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi mac,
your equipment looks very good. I believe, it is worth to be presented a bit better, if you want that too. Is it possible to see pictures with a higher resolution? I also am interested in the experiences concerning the settings of the DEQX, because I want to use it for my sealed 3-ways also. (The same question I would like to address to Gertjan.)
Would you prefer the dipoles over a sealed solution (with correction) absolutely? You put them relatively near to the corners of that small room, did you have any problems with equalisation at lower frequencies?
Unfortunately I do not have an own room for music only, I have to share the living room with my family. My "laboratory" is 8 sqm only and filled with electronic parts, docs e.t.c. as you can imagine.
Thank you for the interesting picture!
A bit off topic: I'm going to by a M-Audio Delta1010LT. Would you prefer this or another soundcard for doing measurements on speakers and classD Amps?
Regards, Timo
Old 30th December 2004, 03:22 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Gertjan, Thank you for the information.

Timo, Here are a couple links to higher res photos:

View from listening chair.
Room treatment.

This is an interesting graph . It shows the in-room response of the woofers measured at the listening chair. The graph on the top is a single woofer mounted in a 2.5L sealed box and the graph on the bottom is the dipole woofer. You can see why I like dipole bass.

I think whether you prefer dipole to monopole midrange is a matter of personal preference. The dipole will present a more diffuse sound stage. If the box is properly designed it can provide a more focused image with little to no added box coloration. Of course YMMV depending on room acoustics and taste.

Cheers, mac.
Old 30th December 2004, 04:49 PM   #20
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

You just can't leave well enough alone, can you?

Davey.

Quote:
Originally posted by mac

Cheers,
mac.

Hide this!Advertise here!