Best Sounding Class D Amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2004, 08:06 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Best Sounding Class D Amp

Quote:
Originally posted by kittikun
Hi All,

I'm just new in this forum and especially class D amp. After going through many threads, I think that it is a time to start a new experience.

I want to try some high power class D amp for my diy project but most of the thread I read is about technical discussion. There is very few information about the sound quality. I get confuse because I do not know exactly which amp should I start with my project. The problem is there are too many amps in different brand and varieties, range from Ucd(w & w/o AD8260), Lc audio and ICE.

I use Magnepan 1.6 in my system and it always hungry for power. Although I fed my monster with SS 500w/4 ohm amp, it is never enough. The impedance of magnepan is very low at 4 ohm and I love tube sound. But all my tubes cannot drive magnepan.

Can anyone help recommend me? Thanks you in advance

Kittikun
Zappulse from LC Audio should be something to try you can build them very powerful if you like.I have mine driving martin Logan SL3 and it works really good and they are very easy to build.With the PSU i use they can deliver approx.700w in 4 ohms
Old 20th December 2004, 08:36 AM   #12
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: High performance Class D & DSP

Quote:
Originally posted by davey1
BTW, I've not mentioned the company name - I'm not trying to sell anything!

It's OK for you to mention the company name and URL, this time at least I think pretty are interested to know.
Old 20th December 2004, 08:52 AM   #13
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Hi,

Yeh, I have to applaude anyone who wants to supply the DIY community in any way shape or form.

I'm sure I'm not the only one nosy enough to have done this but, just click on his homepage link and you'll find:

http://www.linea-research.co.uk/

Proceed to products and you'll find:

http://www.linea-research.co.uk/product_x_pod.htm

I've also found there is a program related to the Ipod with the same name as their amp module.

Dave didn't make this hard to find Should have started a new thread for it though, it's worthy of it, more people would have seen it too.

Regards,
Chris
Old 20th December 2004, 08:57 AM   #14
kepa1 is offline kepa1  France
diyAudio Member

yes, X-Pod is also the name of speakers stands here in france; i'm not sure the name is so relevant...

pretty interesting product, though, especially the DSP part.

alain
Old 20th December 2004, 08:57 AM   #15
Account Disabled

Hi,

Yeh that's a good point, they turn on a little slower than they turn off, but that's only as seen under the "typical" ratings, max ratings are all the same, so it probably wouldn't be good to rely on that, and that's not dead time anyway.

IVX posted a nice example of how to use the 2110, search for IVX and 2110.gif and you'll likely find an excellent example showing how to implement it.

I'd consider looking at the HIP series of the same drivers, from intersil. The timing on them is much better according to the data sheet.

Regards,
Chris
Old 20th December 2004, 09:01 AM   #16
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by kepa1
yes, X-Pod is also the name of speakers stands here in france; i'm not sure the name is so relevant...

pretty interesting product, though, especially the DSP part.

alain

It isn't relevant, until somebody takes them to court over it.. It's also related to audio as well as the Ipod.. it just wouldn't look good in court, they've already lost if it ever gets to that.

Nobody wants to see that happen.
Old 20th December 2004, 09:55 AM   #17
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by classd4sure
http://www.linea-research.co.uk/

Proceed to products and you'll find:

http://www.linea-research.co.uk/product_x_pod.htm

I've also found there is a program related to the Ipod with the same name as their amp module.

Dave didn't make this hard to find Should have started a new thread for it though, it's worthy of it, more people would have seen it too.
Of some peculiar reason I didn't notice his www-button.

I have checked the homepage but I didn't find much, nice photos but very little about the products, not a single datasheet in sight.
Old 20th December 2004, 10:35 AM   #18
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

Of some peculiar reason I didn't notice his www-button.

I have checked the homepage but I didn't find much, nice photos but very little about the products, not a single datasheet in sight.
Yeah, I noticed the same thing. I guess they're just emerging on the market though, so we'll see how well they do getting the act together.

I'm can't say with absolute certainty but I swear there's additional products there that I didn't see a few days ago, or maybe I just didn't notice at the time.

Anyway, bring on those data sheets
Old 20th December 2004, 11:27 AM   #19
davey1 is offline davey1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

Wow! I only posted on Friday so thanks for taking the time to reply - I'm amazed so many have....

For those who did find our website, yes of course I'm trying to sell the stuff, that's my job! - I'm just trying not to force feed people, as I know it's annoying.

Also, I'm well aware of the lack of information on the site - I've tried to give an impression of where we have expertise rather than specifics on a particular product although I do intend to improve this in the near future.

I certainly do not consider the DIY market to be marginal - it's how I started and I have much respect for people doing it their own way. My problem is how to sell effectively to the two ends of the market. B&O and Powersoft have minimum order quantities that basically preclude anyone other than an OEM from getting involved. Some other manufacturers will sell to 'anyone' but this is not as straightforward as it may seem. I think the two key areas are pricing and support;

Despite what some people tell me, effective integration of these products takes time and support. This overhead has to be paid for - ignoring this requirement for application support is a folly in my book; I certainly don't want to sell to someone on the other side of the world and just forget about them if they need some after sales support.

Pricing is the second issue. In my experience pro-audio manufacturers work on a 50% margin i.e. make for $50 and sell for $100. If I sell a unit to BassBins Inc. for $100 they will integrated it into their product and sell it for $200 - $300. I would need to match this kind of pricing so I don't compromise the larger volume OEM sales. The problem is it makes these products seem pretty pricey.

So, I suppose that's it, I feel like I have to sell low volumes at high prices to allow for the support costs and protect our OEM sales - it just doesn't feel right.....you guy's pay more to protect the interests of the larger customers out there.

One final point - the modules' name.

X-Pod comes from the fact that it's designed to be a speaker powering module so 'Pod' seems about right. The X is for its' built in crossover. At the time the only 'X-Pod' I could find was a fishing rod stand ). Unfortunately Pod's are big business now and I'm sure they'll be A, B & C-Pod's before long. It's not trademarked in the UK and I haven't had a writ from Mr Gates. (yet) but if we do get some pressure I'm sure we'll change. In the end it's the product that's really important, not the name eh?

Davey
Old 20th December 2004, 12:06 PM   #20
Account Disabled

Hi,

Many good points.

How you want to work out the support issue is up to you of course. Good instructions, data sheets, faqs, tips, readily available will help (OEMs as well), and should be a big part of it. Forums like this are another. Maybe a design example or two could be an option as well.

This way it isn't like you're having to spend on a 1-800# and full time staff just to answer questions, and should help keep costs lower.

Remember the OEMs just bought your product, not the exclusive rights to it, if you think it will make a larger customer want to walk, then you've got a dilema. OEMs will walk on you anyway when a better/cheaper product comes along or suits their purposes for whatever the reason.

Volume based price breaks seems the fair way for everyone, is commonly done, and I don't think anyone honestly expects to pay the same amount the OEMs paid for it in mass quantities anyway, but all within reason. Don't tell us what OEMs are using it, or what they paid for it

Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Regards,
chris

Hide this!Advertise here!