PWM amp from 'Power Physics'?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone comment on the new PWM amplifier from 'Power Physics' ?

To quote MIX online (http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_nht_xd_series/):

"Examining the drawbacks of existing PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) digital switching amplifier designs, Power Physics developed a new nonlinear control method (U.S. patent #6084450). This One-Cycle Sound™ approach monitors the switched variable on a cycle-by-cycle basis, so in each cycle, the average value of the output (power to the speaker) equals the control reference (audio input signal). This rejects power supply disturbances, non-ideal switching edges, component variation with temperature and other distortion-creating problems in typical PWM amps."

How might this compare to UcD?

Hi,

Glad you posted about this, it's been mentioned before and I've been looking for it for weeks ever since I lost everything.

I just did some searching and I wasn't able to find the thread it was brought up in, Bruno had some comments on it, anyone have a link?

Just had a glance at their white paper as well. They claim "soft switching" hmmm... It's the error that hits zero each cycle, not the inductor voltage or current, I may have missed or missunderstood something, I realize they didn't claim ZVS, but how can they claim soft switching, I was under the impression class d audio= hard switched?

Seems funny they got a patent there's nothing new in single pulse control is there?

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.