finished 4 channel T-amp project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

First off, let me say I have no professional background of any kind and the only piece of paper I have to show my educational accomplishments says G.E.D. on it. In other words, I'm an extreme amateur that thinks he did a damn fine job on this one considering his edumacational shortcomings.

So anyways, the case is made of poplar, stained with black ash stain, and finished with 12 coats of Formbys semi-gloss tung oil wipe on varnish. This is actually the first time I've ever made anything out of "real" wood; i.e. not mdf. I made many mistakes I know I wouldn't make the second time around, but it turned out pretty good considering my lack of experience.

The front and back panels are bead blasted aluminum with a couple coats of semi-flat clear coat on them. I'd like to have had them anodized but I'm cheap and impatient. Their attached to the wood case by magnets that stick to angle brackets as you can see in the picture. I did this to have a clean look and easy quick access to the internal components.

I mounted a 10 amp 13.8v regulated supply inside the case to power the amps. I know its way overkill, but I already had it. I mounted some binding posts on the back of the case so I can still use it to run and test other things.

I decided not to bother with the hassle of pots and replaced them with 4.7k resistors to bring the input impedance to 14.7k. I will ultimately end up getting its signal off of a PC that will control the volume.

I added some small heatsinks to the tripath chip because I noticed it did get pretty warm under use......... and it just looks cool :cool: .

Well, I don't know what else to say other than I'm a minimalist thats extremely happy with my accomplishment.

Oh, it sounds good too ;) .

Regards,

MEXXX

hi. i'm new of this world. i don't have more practice whit mod, and i've some question.
I'm making the first mod that i saw on the michael mardis's site, and now i wanna "link" 2 t-amp to have more power whit only 2 speaker.
it's right my project (see attachment)? I wanna use just 1 pot, what tipe i've to take?

i have to change other componets for make my project?

Attachments

• t-amp schema biamping.jpg
    t-amp schema biamping.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 344
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey MEXX Looks good! Very clean layout, nice box. Looks like a guitar amp. =) Are you doing a LCRS, or just biamping stereo?

Norbertom: You can't do it like that. Don't hook the 2 channels together, the T-Amp is not set up that way.
All you "might" gain is a little extra current, but not much. You won't get enough extra power to be worth it. And you would be getting into a world of trouble connecting the 2 channels together like that.

If you wanted to do something like this, but run the tweeter and woofer sections seperately, that would be OK. It looks like that is what MEXX is planning.

The speaker needs to be set up for bi-wiring, i.e. the tweeter needs to be able to be decoupled from the midrange.

Even then, you don't get the full benefit of bi-wiring without bypassing the crossover entirely and using an active crossover before the amps.

Just looking for more power? Use a different amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.