replacement cap for T-amp: How big? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2004, 05:30 PM   #1
MEXXX is offline MEXXX  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MEXXX Send a message via MSN to MEXXX Send a message via Yahoo to MEXXX
Default replacement cap for T-amp: How big?

I would like to replace the 330uf supply cap on my T-amp with a black gate cap and I would like to know how big too big would be? I was thinking about using a 1000uf cap, but I would like some feedback first.

TIA,

MEXXX

Here's a pic of the T-amp module after some wire mods.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th December 2004, 01:20 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MEXXX Send a message via MSN to MEXXX Send a message via Yahoo to MEXXX
No suggestions at all? I know its probably a noob question, but hey........ thats what I am.
Old 10th December 2004, 01:51 AM   #3
mb is offline mb
diyAudio Member

Very neat work!

I'm not sure anyone has enough firsthand experience on the T-amp to offer a solid recommendation. I've tried 1000 and 3600uF successfully. Obviously they're large, so what I did was to have these caps offboard, as first level reservoirs. Power was from a 12V SLA.

IMO the real payback will come from good film cap bypass of power pins of the TDA chip. The smd chip caps on the pcb look as cheap as they come. That's real tricky...

Another area where major improvement cab be obtained is in the input dc block cap (after the inductor). This is even trickier, and my attempts have led to the premature death of one T-amp.
Old 10th December 2004, 02:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Very neat work!
Thank you! Wait until you see the finished poplar case with built in 10 amp power supply that two of these are going in.

If you've tried a 3600uf cap succesfully then i'm going to go ahead and get a Balck Gate standard 16v 3300uf cap for it. As far as replacing any of the surface mount stuff goes .......... I'm not even going to attemp it.

Oh, and I found out the inductors make nice tweaters if your input signal is high enough .
Old 10th December 2004, 04:21 AM   #5
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

Mexx,

Keep us posted on the work. Nice job so far.

Where did you get the cool heatsink? I want one!

I'll be interested in seeing how you mount the new caps. I was thinking of doing the very same thing.

Cool amp, huh?

Best,
KT
Old 10th December 2004, 01:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

KT,

That cool little heatsink is marketed as a "BGA Ramsink" for video card memory and has a self adhesive thermal pad. You can get them for $1.00 each on ebay, heres a link . The heatsink fits the tripath chip so well its like it was made for it.

I got lucky, the person selling them just so happens to live in my town. I met him at the local post office and bought 30 of them.

I actually plan on mounting the cap with the bottom sitting right on top of the four inductors. I'll probably have to bend the leads in toward the center of the cap and down at right angles to get the spacing of the PCB holes.

And yes, a very very cool amp .

MEXXX

Hide this!Advertise here!