replacement cap for T-amp: How big?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Very neat work!

I'm not sure anyone has enough firsthand experience on the T-amp to offer a solid recommendation. I've tried 1000 and 3600uF successfully. Obviously they're large, so what I did was to have these caps offboard, as first level reservoirs. Power was from a 12V SLA.

IMO the real payback will come from good film cap bypass of power pins of the TDA chip. The smd chip caps on the pcb look as cheap as they come. That's real tricky...

Another area where major improvement cab be obtained is in the input dc block cap (after the inductor). This is even trickier, and my attempts have led to the premature death of one T-amp.

Very neat work!

Thank you! Wait until you see the finished poplar case with built in 10 amp power supply that two of these are going in.

If you've tried a 3600uf cap succesfully then i'm going to go ahead and get a Balck Gate standard 16v 3300uf cap for it. As far as replacing any of the surface mount stuff goes :eek: .......... I'm not even going to attemp it.

Oh, and I found out the inductors make nice tweaters if your input signal is high enough ;) .

KT,

That cool little heatsink is marketed as a "BGA Ramsink" for video card memory and has a self adhesive thermal pad. You can get them for $1.00 each on ebay, heres a link . The heatsink fits the tripath chip so well its like it was made for it.

I got lucky, the person selling them just so happens to live in my town. I met him at the local post office and bought 30 of them.

I actually plan on mounting the cap with the bottom sitting right on top of the four inductors. I'll probably have to bend the leads in toward the center of the cap and down at right angles to get the spacing of the PCB holes.

And yes, a very very cool amp :D .

MEXXX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.