Power supply from LCAudio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a quote from Henrik at LCAudio for 2 Predator PSU's with 80V caps. The quote for 2 PSU's is US$189. Assuming there's no volume discount here, that means US$94.50 per PSU. Can someone who has ordered this PSU tell me a bit more about what is included? Is it just the PCB, caps, connectors and diodes? I'm assuming it doesn't include a toroid, does it? That seems pretty expensive.

I ordered the soft start circuit from LCAudio, but haven't received it yet. It's not immediately apparent to me from the information available on the website how to connect the soft start circuit. Does the Predator power supply PCB have connectors for powering the soft start PCB? How difficult would it be to use the lcaudio soft start circuit without the Predator power supply?

Thanks.

Brad

Why can't you simply ask anyone at LCAudio what are included in their prices or how to connect?

From what I see in the text:

Features

* 100.000uF Low Impedance capacitors, connected in a V4P network.
* Ultra Fast Recovery (25 nS) rectifiers
* Soft Start Circuit
* DC Filter (prevents transformer hum).
* On Board Gate Driver Regulator.
* One Module Does it All

....but not a transformer (at the bottom of the page) pretty cheap otherwise :nod: ..

peranders said:
Why can't you simply ask anyone at LCAudio what are included in their prices or how to connect?

From what I see in the text:

Features

* 100.000uF Low Impedance capacitors, connected in a V4P network.
* Ultra Fast Recovery (25 nS) rectifiers
* Soft Start Circuit
* DC Filter (prevents transformer hum).
* On Board Gate Driver Regulator.
* One Module Does it All

....but not a transformer (at the bottom of the page) pretty cheap otherwise :nod: ..

What you descibe above is not the predator power supply but a far more expensive one. It costs 316 Euro. The predator supply costs about 54 Euro. In any case, you don`t get a transformer.

I think the prices for the predator and the above described one are quite steep, although I bought a few predator suplies and softstart circuits just because it was convenient and saved me the trips to electronic stores to get all the parts.

Gertjan

wytco0 said:
dc, the predator comes as a single board as per the pictures on the web site, it does not include the transformer.

Mine did come with 2 screws, I dont now what they were for though :)

I think the screws are meant to mount the predator board directly to a housing. I screwed the predator board to the case using the mounting holes in the two rectifiers. There are no other holes anywhere in the PCB for mounting purposes.

dc said:
I just got a quote from Henrik at LCAudio for 2 Predator PSU's with 80V caps. The quote for 2 PSU's is US$189. Assuming there's no volume discount here, that means US$94.50 per PSU. Can someone who has ordered this PSU tell me a bit more about what is included? Is it just the PCB, caps, connectors and diodes? I'm assuming it doesn't include a toroid, does it? That seems pretty expensive.

I ordered the soft start circuit from LCAudio, but haven't received it yet. It's not immediately apparent to me from the information available on the website how to connect the soft start circuit. Does the Predator power supply PCB have connectors for powering the soft start PCB? How difficult would it be to use the lcaudio soft start circuit without the Predator power supply?

Thanks.

Brad

Hi Brad,

I have those softstart circuits. They are directly powered from the 230V or 115V that comes out of your wall outlet. You connect them between the wall outlet and the transformer. So you can use them with any power supply.

Best regards

Gertjan

peranders: You are looking at his "4 pole" board. The predator board is basically a couple of caps, two rectifiers, some small smoothing caps and a couple of ferite beads. It's all laid out in such a way that you can directly wire the Zappulse modules straight from the PS to the board with some very short wires.

That price does seem a little on the high side though. You can buy a similar bag of bits from Jan-Peter at about 30Euro each, but he only includes a single rectifier, so ask him for a second one perhaps...?

There are schematics here:
http://www.lcaudio.dk/com/predpsu.gif
and pictures here:
http://www.lcaudio.dk/com/predpsu.gif

The softstart module just has mains in and mains out. So you basically wire between your power switch and the torroid. Lars also sells a DC filter that you also put inline, and it will help if you suffer from mains hum through the torroids

Well, if I write to lcaudio, my recent experience has been that it takes 1-2 days to get a reply, which reply is typically incomplete or wrong, as in the case of the e-mail I received from them yesterday. If I post a question here, and it's a question that people here can answer, I get a response which is more helpful and less biased than the responses I've been getting from lcaudio. Also, I've gotten four responses on this board in the last 45 minutes. Posting here is not only much more efficient, it also produces much better results.

This is not intended as a slight against lcaudio -- they, like all other companies, have limited resources, and I'm not their only customer. I'm not suggesting I'm getting poor service from them.

As I was posting this, I got the response I needed from ewildgoose. Thanks, ewildgoose :)

Support takes time and you earn nothing. Customers like DIY'ers are bit special.

I have suggested to Lars to set his own support forum, either a free one like Instantboard (cost nothing, no ads either) or that he gets code for creating his own on his own server or web hotel.

Rod Elliott has his own forum here and from I can see most people are very polite and respect his wishes. I have also my own and have no problems at all.

Lars, why don't you set up your own forum and see how it goes? If it produces too much piracy or other sorts of "abuse" just shut it down. If you want to test www.instantboard.com it takes you only 15-30 minutes to have it up and running. You can also borrow a sub forum at my forum free of charge.

An another tips is to have a forum like AKSA-Hugh has at http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/

dc said:

Thanks.

Brad
I have ordered that PSU the transformer i had to buy somwere else (cheaper) i use a 2*50V 1000VA and it works fine.Maybe it had been cheaper to build my own PSU but this one saved me a lot of time and it also comes with warranty if anything should fail.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.