Optimal supply design for UCD and Zappulse modules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Gertjan:
I also had trouble to find suitable TX.
I received some 2KVA autotransformers as a gift and I asked a local experienced technician to use the nucleus and rewire them to make +/- 1KVA balanced TX. US$80 for the job. Believe me, it is worth the pain ;)
Now I use the small balanced TX to power the transport and connect this TX to the bigger one in cascade.

Lucpes wrote:
Anybody tried LM338 to build a regulated supply?
I remember this topic was touched before. If I recall well the conclusion was that a regulated supply is not needed and it could be detrimental for the sound, specially for dynamics and bass, wich could be leaner. Unregulated supplies can provide better hi current pulses, I guess...but try it for yourself and see...that's the best method;)

Regards
M

Silly intermezzo (again)

classd4sure said:
Could it be that it is "old news" of times long since past since it has to do with restoring old radios? "micromicrofarade"..... no thanks!
Hi Chris,

I stumbled upon a better reference to the mix up in cap values:
http://sound.westhost.com/beginners.htm#6_0
mF: Milli-Farad, 1x10-3 Farad (1,000th of a Farad) - uncommon
uF: Micro-Farad, 1x10-6 Farad (1,000,000th of a Farad)
mF: Micro-Farad, a very, very old term, still sometimes used in the US (True!) - Causes much confusion.
ufd: Micro-Farad, another very old term, still used in the US
mfd (or MFD): Yet another antiquated term - US again!
nF: Nano-Farad, 1x10-9 Farad (1,000,000,000th of a Farad) - Common everywhere except the US
pF: Pico-Farad, 1x10-12 Farad (1,000,000,000,000th of a Farad)
mmF: Micro-Micro-Farad, another extremely old term, also still used sometimes in the US
So it is indeed something from the past and pretty confusing ;)

Cheers,
Hans.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.