I may buy a pair of B&W 703 speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A little disappointed with how my ZAPpulse amp sounds with Acoustat 2+2's, I decided to go speaker shopping.

Boy, was I in for a shock.

First, we hooked up my amp to a pair of Sonus Faber speakers. The front end was a QUAD cdplayer with a built-in preamp -- very nice combo.

The sound was quite disappointing. It was overly rolled off and dull sounding, with a compressed soundstage. NOT what I remember from the last time I heard them with my old Cary tube integrated. So, we swapped out my amp and connected the QUAD amp. The hi-end frequecies came back, and sounded pretty good, but this left me wondering what was up with my amp??

Then we hooked up a pair of B&W 703's to the QUAD system. Meh, that old in your face B&W house sound, with the bright, tizzy treble. That was the end of that. Let's try my amp!

HOLY COW! Talk about system synergy. Something about the easy to drive load on the B&W, just made it sing with the Class-D amp. It literally put the QUAD amp to shame. The mid band was smooth and full, the bass very tight and effortless, and the treble was about the best I've heard -- very crisp and live sounding, but absolutely no harshness or grain. I have never heard B&W speakers sound this good before.

I have a pair of sonus faber, I can say they are a great sounding speaker. Today I slapped together my UcD400's on a piece of partical board. I was eager to hear the UcD's. From the little I listened to, I must say the modules sounded pretty great with the sonus. I didn't realy get to listen to them enough as most of the time I was pushing my 2 year old daughter away from the exposed wiring and we also had a function to get ready for (1 track to be precise)

I find the B&W's the same way you first thought of them, bright and in your face. I found this with most amplifiers I tried on them. Funny how the only amp they sound great on is a DIY amp. Maybe they should be marketing to the DIY comunity.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.