Help with class D repair please - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2004, 03:07 PM   #1
xokia is offline xokia  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help with class D repair please

I have a class D amplifier I am trying to repair. It just keeps blowing fusses. I replaced one of the transistors on the power supply side because it was leaking current when the amp wasn't turned on. The PWM is suppossed to be a fixed frequency varying duty cycle design. I have this this regulated to 12V 1.5 amps. When I turn it on the voltage goes down to 7V because its current limited. I can get it to start switching but at about a 50% duty cycle. I don't have a schematic for this amplifier so I am working in the dark here. Any suggestions.
Old 25th October 2004, 05:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

hey there..im no expert, but you are right..it is current limiting..try check and see if the reference hiccups..also check the output rectifiers on the PSU...there has to be a leaky/SC semi somewhere...
Old 25th October 2004, 09:45 PM   #3
xokia is offline xokia  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll try the output rectifiers. This is really bugging me because I know its something simple. Its like there is a dead short after the switching power supply. With no schematic its a real pain.
Old 26th October 2004, 03:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

it could be the PSU too...maybe you can try to remove the power amplifier and test the power supply...since its a switcher, it needs a load to start..measure the input resistance of the ampl and use a high power resistor of the same value to load the PSU...then try and see if the psu is limiting...atleast this way you can eliminate one possibility

Hide this!Advertise here!