Zappulse noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lars,

While you are following this thread, could we start a more official "Zappule builders thread" that you would follow more regularly?

I think there are a lot of people interested in building these things, and a place where we could swap tips and also get the designer to chip in to keep us on topic would be useful. This thread has already started down these lines and it might be nice to have one with a less controversial topic?

I will fire off one quick question that I would be grateful for you to answer: The LC clock module for the Zappulse 2.2SE:

- You said before "just power it with the +60v input to the zappulse and ground it only via the clock inputs to the module." So before I blow anything up, please let me just double check that this really means, one +60v power wire into the clock, and second wire is a clock connection back to the module sync input (and that is it?).

- Secondly, I presume that it defaults to 500Khz, and if I remove the solder bubble saying 500, and solder the 1000 bubble then it becomes a 1000Khz module?

- Any comments on whether this will help with the high frequency harshness that I commented on before?

Thanks

Lars Clausen said:
tgb: ok, thanks i will try and answer when i get your mail :)

Duck Twacy: Dont know exactly, also on my own remote location it worked slowly last night. So went to check the server, and found that on the local network it works fast like normally. Must be problems with the connection to backbone, but seems to be ok again now :)

Unfortunately its very slow at the moment again. Won't load a complete page (even after 5 minutes).

(indeed this mornig it was okay)

tb root # traceroute www.lcaudio.dk
traceroute to 213.237.39.2.adsl.ho.worldonline.dk (213.237.39.2), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 * * *
2 * * *
3 lon1-10.nildram.net (213.208.106.195) 24.079 ms 17.541 ms 17.832 ms
4 lon1-6.nildram.net (195.149.20.132) 18.073 ms 17.431 ms 17.950 ms
5 ldn-b1-geth14-3.telia.net (213.248.100.69) 18.072 ms 20.668 ms 20.851 ms
6 ldn-hex-b1-pos7-0.telia.net (213.248.74.37) 20.948 ms 20.681 ms 20.946 ms
7 so-4-0-1.lon22.ip.tiscali.net (213.200.77.133) 20.966 ms 17.680 ms 17.973 ms
8 so-1-0-0.cph20.ip.tiscali.net (213.200.81.210) 38.930 ms 41.661 ms 38.822 ms
9 tiscali-dk-2.ip.tiscali.net (213.200.73.10) 42.060 ms 41.788 ms 41.850 ms
10 ge.pe0.osd.tiscali.dk (62.79.235.253) 39.027 ms 41.534 ms 39.091 ms
11 so-1-0.cr0.ho.tiscali.dk (62.79.236.50) 53.784 ms 53.728 ms 56.863 ms
12 213.237.39.2.adsl.ho.worldonline.dk (213.237.39.2) 75.172 ms 65.464 ms 62.914 ms
13 * * *
14 * * *

Something funny happening to your DSL connection?

Ed: Hi! It appears that connection is unstable at the moment. Usually the provider (Tiscali) upgrade their local servers in the weekends and only tell the users about it a couple of days later.

About the clocking. First lets emphazise that we are NOT talking about the LClock, but the ZAPpulse Sync module.
Yes connect it to +60V main power supply. (Where it says +60V on the sync module).

Apply a switch, and turn off the sync module when you listen at high volumes. The switch should just break the +60V to the sync module.
It can be turned on and off randomly, you don't have to switch off the
amplifier first.
And then turn it on when you listen at low volumes.
(This function will be automatic in the next generation of ZAPpulse sync
units, and everyone who have bought a version 1.00 will get a free replacement of the 2.00 when it is ready in a month or so).

The sync module will affect background noise only, not tonal balance.

I think it's a very good idea to start a ZAPpulse builder thread. I will attend as much as possible of course. Here can also post new informations and innovations about ZAPpulse. But please moderators: make a passage to the Digital Amplification group. Now you have to go in 'Solid State' and then click (back) 'Amplifiers' and then you can find a link to 'Digital Amplification'.

Duck Twacy: I am sorry about this, hopefully it will be ok again by tomorrow.

All the best from

Lars

Edit with usual precision, there is now a message on www.tiscali.dk about this problem:

13:32 Error detected, no central passage of internet connectivity. 13:31 problem solved, normal connectivity. Damn they are fast at Tiscali :D

ewildgoose & Lars:

GREAT idea this would help the many who would like to (and the already have) adopt the 2.2SE and next generations go forward pushing the envelope in the right direction. This will be a very good thing for to all to see and learn a trick or two.

Since I am a Newbee, I think it would be appropriate for one of the more seasoned members to kick off the Zappulse Builder Thread.

Please let me know when it gets started.

tgb :) :cool:

Lars Clausen said:

I think it's a very good idea to start a ZAPpulse builder thread. I will attend as much as possible of course. Here can also post new informations and innovations about ZAPpulse. But please moderators: make a passage to the Digital Amplification group. Now you have to go in 'Solid State' and then click (back) 'Amplifiers' and then you can find a link to 'Digital Amplification'.

Duck Twacy: I am sorry about this, hopefully it will be ok again by tomorrow.

All the best from

Lars

Good idea, I would like to see such a thread

I will start one as soon as I have all the part here, but that may take a few weeks. So perhaps somebody else will start before that.

I already have a question (How much capacity in de ps is actually preferred? Not minimal, but optimal).

(ps site is working again).

Lars, A thought occurs. I find the Zappulse really gets harsh in the treble when there is a lot of other "music" playing. When it's only a few voices, they sound OK. Bring on the backing guitars and the voices get quite "harsh"

Since I have gone multi-amp and moved some of the bass to a sub amp, it's a *little* better.

Thought is, could my 400va power supply running at 62V rectified, be just underspecified for the job?

Power supply was a single LCaudio PS with 10,000 caps if you remember

The Zap coils are very comfortably rated. There's little chance of ever seeing them getting near saturation. Any sonic colouration is not to be looked for in the coil.

An air coil in a class D amp (or in any other step-down converter) is an EMI hazard, as well as a logistical problem. The proximity of a circuit board simply shorts out the coil, requiring it to be mounted in "free space". Air coils and class D amplifiers are uneasy bedfellows.

The Zap coils have something of an external field problem as well. Presumably due to a chronic difficulty in obtaining of core halves with the air-gap ground into the center leg, two unmodified RM core halves are used with a spacer inserted. The result is an external air gap, which causes a strong stray field nearby. I would not be surprised if two of these modules mounted close together would eventually suffer from whistle noises due to the stray field of one module's coil interfering with the modulation circuit of the other.

ewildgoose said:
Lars, A thought occurs. I find the Zappulse really gets harsh in the treble when there is a lot of other "music" playing. When it's only a few voices, they sound OK. Bring on the backing guitars and the voices get quite "harsh"

Since I have gone multi-amp and moved some of the bass to a sub amp, it's a *little* better.

Thought is, could my 400va power supply running at 62V rectified, be just underspecified for the job?

Power supply was a single LCaudio PS with 10,000 caps if you remember

This sounds like intermodulation distortion to me.

Gertjan

Thanks for the thoughts Bruno. Yes, these things do have some whistle noise quite easily if for example I use my mains conditioner nearby. There is a little static type noise as well on idle.

Thanks Gertjan, yes, I think it probably is intermodulation. Basically, the amps have fantastic stereo imaging and great bass, but ultimately, compared with my Meridian 557 commercial job, I just can't listen to these things with any kind of volume. It's just as though someone has turned up the treble and it sounds a lot louder than it really is...

Now, bear in mind that I have just been to the Queen musical (which is basically a rock concert in a theatre, and I can assure you that the PA rig there putting out probably 120dB+ was a lot nicer to listen to than my zappulse....

Basically anything that has a treble component *sounds* a LOT louder than it should do. I'm fairly sure this is the text book description of IM distortion?

The question is how to fix it though...?

Now I have another pair of Zappulse here, (and 4x UCD400s in transit.) I was going to build the other Zappulse pair with a single 1000va transformer, ditch the DC filter, and put each module on the opposite side of the case and bonded to the alu sides for cooling. We will see if this improves things at all. If so, then I may try to re-engineer this current one for better performance

Thanks all

The Zap coils have something of an external field problem as well. Presumably due to a chronic difficulty in obtaining of core halves with the air-gap ground into the center leg, two unmodified RM core halves are used with a spacer inserted. The result is an external air gap, which causes a strong stray field nearby. I would not be surprised if two of these modules mounted close together would eventually suffer from whistle noises due to the stray field of one module's coil interfering with the modulation circuit of the other.

Hello ... I'm Guessing now but what help my modules from ever saying a single piiiiiip or noise at all ... shortcircuiting the to ferrites in the coils with a testwire ..

i dont know why it would help but it most certainly did ...
allthough this was on version 1.20 haven't tried my new 2.2's yet ..... i hope it would have the same effekt

besides i would consider the windings on the coils to be EXTREMELY loose .... given that most talk about how firm coils for high frequencies ( SMPS ) have to be made.

:smash:

Interesting situation here.

In the begining of this thread, I noted that my amp was very clean sounding -- no noise. This was on a test bench with only the single ended input hooked up with cheap coaxial style cable.

Now that I have it installed in a case, I am getting noise when music is playing... Especially through high frequencies, it sounds like there is sand in my speakers.

One of the things I did was connect a set of balanced inputs, which I am not using. I cut the "-" connection and the noise went away.

Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.