UCD180 Vs Others - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2004, 02:19 AM   #1
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Default UCD180 Vs Others

ANybody able to give a sonic ranking for UCD180 compared to other amps AKSA 55 for instance?
John
Old 4th October 2004, 09:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Check the thread "UCD180 questions". Some folks have posted
reviews, however not specifically AKSA versus UCD180.

Michael
Old 4th October 2004, 11:22 PM   #3
Banned

Thanks Michael,
Yes I already checked that thread but I have not heard the amps mentioned there. I have built AKSA & Gainclone amps and wondered about UCD180 being a step up from AKSA?

John
Old 4th October 2004, 11:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don't know if AKSA and UCD180 are quite comparable concepts. AKSA is a solid state Class AB amp (correct me if I'm wrong)whereas UCD180 is a PWM Class-D amp. However, sonically I believe a well-built UCD180 amp may outperform an AKSA.
I am also planning to build an UCD amp but it's hard to tell which
concept is really better. We need more reviewers.

Michael
Old 4th October 2004, 11:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mlihl
I don't know if AKSA and UCD180 are quite comparable concepts. AKSA is a solid state Class AB amp (correct me if I'm wrong)whereas UCD180 is a PWM Class-D amp. However, sonically I believe a well-built UCD180 amp may outperform an AKSA.

Michael

It would also be interesting to hear people's reactions to these different technologies in the various bands of a triamped system. I suspect, for no good reason whatsoever, that preferences might go class-D for bass & mids up to 2.5 kHz, and class-AB or class-A for the highs. This is completely speculative, of course.

Francois.
Old 5th October 2004, 03:56 AM   #6
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSP_Geek

It would also be interesting to hear people's reactions to these different technologies in the various bands of a triamped system. I suspect, for no good reason whatsoever, that preferences might go class-D for bass & mids up to 2.5 kHz, and class-AB or class-A for the highs. This is completely speculative, of course.

Francois.

Hi Francois,

Class D (UcD) performs extremely well for the high frequencies as well, clearly better than my Accuphase that should be straight to well over a few hundred kHz. With the UcD things are just clearer, not in the sense of more high, but in the sense that the music sounds purer, less things added, less curtain in between the musicians and you. This less curtain effect is stronger than most people expect, at least I was very surprised to hear my far more expense Accuphase being blown away by the UcD.

I`m actually now using the the UcD180 for tweeter and midwoofers (1 for tweeter and 1 for midwoofer and active crossover, actually DSP) and a Tripath based Marantz for the woofers (will be replaced by UcD400 or 700). Works very well, I just finished this setup and first listening tests are very impressive. Very good imaging, you don`t hear or locate the speakers, just music.

Best regards

Gertjan
Old 5th October 2004, 04:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ghemink

Hi Francois,

Class D (UcD) performs extremely well for the high frequencies as well, [....] at least I was very surprised to hear my far more expense Accuphase being blown away by the UcD.

I`m actually now using the the UcD180 for tweeter and midwoofers (1 for tweeter and 1 for midwoofer and active crossover, actually DSP) and a Tripath based Marantz for the woofers (will be replaced by UcD400 or 700). Works very well, I just finished this setup and first listening tests are very impressive. Very good imaging, you don`t hear or locate the speakers, just music.

Best regards

Gertjan
Thanks a bunch - I already decided on a pair of UcD180s for each woofer (twin 4 ohm voice coils), but it's nice to know I can also use them for mids & higher. The current limit won't be a problem even with 50 volt supplies since box tuning will be set to 22 Hz, putting the higher impedance peak right in the middle of the woofer passband.

Mids will be another issue. Fortunately I found a Peavey CS-800 chassis missing only the power amps, so that's a possible home for some UcD400 modules. Have to do something about the fan and the gaudy faceplate, though....

Francois.
Old 5th October 2004, 07:27 AM   #8
hansen is offline hansen  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Some swedish guys seem to be preparing for a comparison of PWM modules: http://www.diyforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1725

Will be interesting what they find out...
Old 5th October 2004, 08:33 AM   #9
Banned

Thanks for the replies - I'm interested in the UCD modules absolute sonic ranking not necessarly among Class D amps only.

I contend that a new technology in audio should push the sonic envelope (so to speak) and should not be compared soley based on what technology class it falls into.

John
Old 5th October 2004, 08:58 AM   #10
wytco0 is offline wytco0  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Some swedish guys seem to be preparing for a comparison of PWM modules: http://www.diyforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1725
Shame I cant read Swedish but what are the three modules? I recognise the UCD180's and I can see one has a Tripath chip but I dont know what it is and whats the one enclosed in Aluminium?

No LC audio module either.

Hide this!Advertise here!