Sold my Accuphase. Should I try UCD/Zappulse?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

sold my Accuphase E-408 integrated amp because I needed
the money (cry) :(

I read so many nice comments about the chip amps in this
forum and to be honest, I feel tempted to build one.
Do you believe I can get comparable quality (or maybe
even better) with a Zappulse or UCD180 based amp?
I will also need a good preamp for it.

Hope you have some suggestions or maybe you
can cheer me up a bit. Still feel sad not seeing
the beautiful Accuphase on my shelf (has been a dream
for many years and it wasn't easy to let go...hope
I will get over it)

Michael

Must be a hard day for you, Michael.

Accuphase gear looks extremely sexy, especially the top of the line amplifiers with the wooden covers - love them. Circuit wise the E-408 is interesting with current feedback and multiple parallel stages - I've seen the schematics and built similar amplifiers.

However, they still have some shortcomings in the power supply area and use capacitors, resistors and opamps noone would even dare to mention on this forum.

You can do better (and save lots of money), but I wouldn't recommend a digital amplifier module. It's a personal taste thing, though.

Hi,

The UCD modules are less than half the price of the Zappulse modules, and everyone seems to agree they sound better.

UCD takes feedback after the filter and I don't believe the ZapPulse does. That should make your choice very easy!

I'd be interested in knowing what you decide on as far as a pre amp goes.

Later

Thank you guys, I feel a little bit better. Fortunately, I can keep
some of the cash generated by the Accuphase sale. So at least
I have a decent DIY budget to work with.

I am also considering Thel's Accusound Pro amplifier
which looks a little bit like the older Mark Levinson gear.
Can somebody share experiences? Schematics? Sound?
I am now deciding between AKSA 100N, Zappulse and
the Accusound. Hmm...not an easy job. As for the preamp,
I actually just need a high quality volume control - no input
selectors (only listening to CD's anyway). This may be
an easier job. The ALPS parts of the Accuphase were
sucking anyway. The third piece of equipment I am
going to need is a DAC. I used an Accuphase D/A
converter module plugged into my amp that is now
obsolete. A PCM-1704/1798 based DAC will most likely
be my next project (after the amp)

Regards,

Michael

all i can say is that the ucd180's are a dream to work with; super easy, great sound and bang for buck.
All you really have to build is a psu and there are more than enough people around here that know exactly what they're doing (and, also important, why they're doing it).

just don't lend your amp to someone who drops it on the floor and just plugs it back in.

*boom*

What exactly do I need for an UCD180 stereo amp (2 channels)
@ 180 Watt? 2 x UCD180 modules, power supply and a transformer? Can I use the power supply that Lcaudio
readily offers or is this overkill? I just want to make sure
I could squeeze the most quality out of the UCD modules
should I go with them...

One more question that is on my mind. Some folks say
the Zappulse produces a lot of noise. What type of
noise is that and how audible is it?

Regards,

Michael

read the ucd180 questions thread.

all your questions will be answered. There are a few pretty in-depth discussions going on in that thread but you'd better skip them, they're not interesting if you 'just want to build an amp'.

But basically, you need a xformer (minimum 300VA, something like 30-33V dual secondaries) a bunch of capacitors, a few connectors and some hookup wire.

mlihl said:
What exactly do I need for an UCD180 stereo amp (2 channels)
@ 180 Watt? 2 x UCD180 modules, power supply and a transformer? Can I use the power supply that Lcaudio
readily offers or is this overkill? I just want to make sure
I could squeeze the most quality out of the UCD modules
should I go with them...

One more question that is on my mind. Some folks say
the Zappulse produces a lot of noise. What type of
noise is that and how audible is it?

Regards,

Michael

OK I was worried you maybe thought because it was cheaper it wasn't as good:)

You pretty well need the same things you would with a ZAPpulse.

You can use that supply and it's been done, or you can make your own, or you can use another one, seemingly a nice supply was just linked to in the UCD180 questions thread, looks OK.

The UCD modules are alot simpler amp and so there's less to go wrong with them as well.

As far as the noise.... well the ZapPulse doesnt' take feedback after the filter so I guess you'd have whatever noise that would induce, bit of a hiss? I can't say I've never heard one.

Don't just do what someone else tells ya though, do some homework on it and make an educated decision which you'll later not regret.

Matjans gave ya some good advice by reading that thread, I think alot of your questions will be answered in it, then come back with any more questions it didn't answer, but I doubt that will happen ~600 posts it's pretty well all been covered :)

UCD400 will be out soon (anytime now) as well which I think can more closely match the power output capability of the ZAPpulse and will be even higher quality than the UCD180. Depending on your requirements that might be an option for you as well. I think it will still be alot cheaper than the ZAPpulse as well, as it's still a much simpler circuit with less components.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all have a listening session before deciding? Sadly, we have to go by their techinical merrit, and luckily, alot of word of mouth is available. Apperently the ZAPpulse isn't a bad choice at all, but if there's a better one at less cost..

Hey, I commend you for being open minded enough to try out something different to begin with! From all I've read here I don't think you'll regret it.

Even if your supply ends up lacking it will sound great, if you are able to squeez out every little bit, it will blow you away, and it's easy enough to make a simple tweak here and there to optimise it to your liking. Either will have a different sound than a regular amp, but it's an easy sound to fall in love with.

Hi quality preamp - single input

Hi Michael,

If you want a hi quality preamp of the passive type, I would suggest you check the Stevens and Billington transformer attenuators. There are kits around (se, e.g., www.diyhifisupply.com), or you could simply purchase the transformers a good switch and connectors. This solutino has the transparency of the best resisto-based passives, and better dynamics.

Ciao,
Goliardo

I have just spent the whole day studying the UCD180 thread
and read all articles about the Zappulse. I must say that these
are really impressive solutions and I am convinced that they will
(in high-end versions) blow my ex-Accuphase E-408 away!
I will go with either UCD180 or Zappulse (Thel Accusound Pro
is still an option but I don't know if or how much better this
amp is compared to the UCD/Zappulse modules). If anyone
has experiences with this amp, I would love to hear it.
The Class-D amps are definitely cheaper than a full-blown
conventional high-end DIY amp also leaving me a few bucks
for a high-end DAC :)

Please forgive my stupid beginner question (I am more into
software development), I noticed the interesting option
to integrate a potentiometer into the Zappulse output to
save a preamp. Since I only listen to a single source (CD),
is that a good idea? Or would a separate stand-alone
preamp still be the best choice for ultimate audiophile quality?
I am planning to use these potentiometers:
http://www.thel-audioworld.de/bauteile/regler/Potis.htm
(Prefer the type CP2500)

Thanks for your advice,

Michael

Put the pot in the amp box......

"Integrated Amp" is what the Big Boys call theirs. If they can do it, so should you.

(I think that you mean "into the ........ input." Right?)

No one has gone into detail on the Zappulse noise. Although in one thread, someone mentioned that they reduced, but not eliminated, it. Perhaps there needs to be a thread about that. Enquiring minds want to know...............

I would be hesistant to buy one unless I know more about the nature of the noise. If it is just white noise from, say......an op-amp, that is one thing. If it is from digitalis or the like, I would want to know a whole lot more.

Jocko

I just finished my ZAPpulse kit.

I am in love with them, but they really do have a different sonic signature from traditional SS amps. You really need to know what kind of sound you want when buying these. For my combination, everything just seemed to work in harmony. I have Acoustat 2+2's in my bedroom, and with the painted walls, it was quite bright in here with the high frequency adjustment on the speakers set to max. With these amps and their extremely smooth top end, it is now perfect. The power output is amazing as well. I can make the panels bottom out before it goes into distortion, however, the short circuit protection must be disabled for low impedence speakers. I think the bass could be improved a bit, but the midband is glorious.

Matt

From what I see, I am starting to believe that the UCD180 might be a better choice for me (better sound, less noise).
However, I am not an experienced tweaker and I want to add a
few high-end parts to the UCD modules (Black Gate etc.)
Would someone be willing (I will pay for it!) to build me
a modified/tweaked UCD180 with premium components?
Maybe I would also need some help (email) to put it all together
with the LCaudio components so the result will be a high-end
amp.

Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.