Class-T Audio Experiences

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
I am wondering,
How good do these Tripath modules or more specifically the ev
boards sound?
My predominent interest is in an amp for headphone use, infact
my existing diy design[wich needs reasonable power being a planarmagnetic design with a impedence of approx 5 ohm]and
its future more effiecient incarnation.

The 10w units cought my eye so I am curious about the potential
sound quality on offer?

The ev boards seem good value at £70 ish from Tripaths UK distributer and look like they could be a good starting point.

Views?

Setmenu

Re: New Tripath amp?

dc said:
Is the TA0105A the amp you were talking about? I saw a data sheet at Tripath.com this morning, but no mention of digital input. How is this chip better/different than the TA0104A? Will there be a reference board?

Brad

Hi Brad -

Yes, the TA0105A is the "replacement" for the TA01014A. It will extend the operating voltage range of the TA0104A considerably. For example, TA0104A had a maximum recommended operating voltage of +/- 92 Volts. The TA0105A will operate beyond +/- 180 Volts. This increased voltage tolerance allows for a very large increase in power output, given appropriate FETs on the output. We are still qualifying output devices to be used with this product, so final power specs are not yet available.

We will develop an evaluation board for this product. Selection/design of an appropriate power supply will be up to the customer, but we will publish at least one recommended part/supplier for the transformer.

This product uses the same fundamental technology as the TA0104A, and so has analog inputs. Our first digital input parts will be announced soon and will address the "multichannel" market.

Regards,

Scott Bobo
Tripath Technology
http://www.tripath.com

retrying

Hello Kay -

I didn't get a bounce on my earlier email, so I assumed that it went through. I can only assume it got blocked at our ISP, my apologies.

We've looked over the schematic and layout and found nothing to be concerned about. Critical elements (D102/7, D202/7, C105/205, and the feedback path) are all well laid out. Specifying the MUR-series Schottkys will save you a lot of trouble. Good bypassing on +5V - some folks miss the fact that if you're trimming offset manually then you need a very quiet rail here. Tripling on the Zobel resistor(s) was a nice way to use more common parts rather than a single (large) one. All in all, a very nice design and one that should require no modifications, as long as the component voltage ratings are appropriate per application.

Looking forward to seeing your results - please email me if you get the chance and I'll see if I can figure out what the problem is with our link.

Scott Bobo
scott at tripath dot com (spam protection)
Tripath Technology
http://www.tripath.com

Scott:

One thing it might be - When you get the emails from the forum, if you visit the forum 'by hand' you get no more emails - you have to follow the link on the emails even if you've already seen the thread. I've had notifications stop sometimes too for that reason. I make it a habit to always click on the link even if I think I've seen it.

frustrated

I don't know marketing so this is a naive question. I know that, but am non-the-less curious enough to risk my pride. I'd love to experiment with the Tripath amps. Scott Bobo Mentions above that..

"The evaluation boards are a sales tool, and so must meet the needs of the volume markets. Tripath is gratified that the DIY community has taken an interest in our evaluation boards and we are happy to serve their needs as best we can."

So now I don't feel so out of depth just being a DIY'er and approaching a company for an evaluation board. I noticed this company while followed the threads started by people playing with the Sonic Impact amp that they found at Target. It uses a board with the TA2024 IC.

Now my dumb question. Here is the TA2024 , mounted on a board along with the peripheral electronics necessary for basic use, with cabinet, with volume knob and binding posts (albeit cheap ones), and after manufacture, shipping, marketing, stocking, and displaying, is available for thirty dollars - half that if your lucky enough to find it on sale. I looked to the Tripath site to see what sort of eval boards they have and the basic TA2024 board is 99.00 dollars.

I realize there may be additional tools and instructions available with the eval board that make it easier to work with in my shop. But I'm wondering why not just go to target, strip board out, and toss the rest? Why is the eval board so (comparatively) pricey?

Because they have no interest in selling eval boards. $99 is dirt cheap for an eval board, and if you are an engineer with a serious interest in the IC you won't bat an eyelash at such a price...if you are working for a company that is big enough for the manufacturer to care about that is. (OEM quantities)

Eval boards are just a hook to make it easier to encourage you to evaluate and buy their products. (which are chips, not assemblies)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.