UCD180 questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Inside width is given on their website, and it's about 31cmx28cm on my case (which is the largest they do).

The top and bottom are *steel* and the sides are alu. There are no instructions, but it's mostly obvious how to fit them together, except that I have some longish steel coloured screws that don't seem to fit anywhere ... (anyone got any ideas?)

You can get some low profile 200Va transformers from LCAudio. I built a Zappulse with two of these in one 40mm high case, and I guess it sounds OK.

Photos here:
http://wildgooses.com/downloads/amp4.jpg

I can't help wondering if 400Va isn't enough for these modules anyway... (running at 63V). With the UCD I am going to just get an 80mm case and go with the 1Kva tranny... (unless someone has a reason not to?)

UrSv said:

Yes, so for a GX288 it is EUR 26.40 at AudioKit and EUR 55 at the French site. Shipping should be about the same. Pretty clear pricing difference...

Hi!

To you have the shipping cost for 2 GX288 boxes using AudioKit? The French supplier doesn't have this model in stock and no date. Alway the same story. Nice catalogue but nothing in stock.

Thanks in advance,

;)

Maximum load R?

UcDs have a 2nd order lowpass filter at the output, series L and parallel C to the load. A no-load condition means we're essentially dealing with a series LC circuit, which with an applied signal near the resonant frequency tends to build up higher voltages on the components.

Bruno, is there a maximum Rout specification for the UcDs?

Thanks,
Francois.

DIY_Peter said:
Maybe a little off topic, but is there anyone out there that knows where I can buy cases of standard Hifi width for a fair price?

I hate those smaller boxes. I want my self made stuff to blend in with my other hifi gear

Found this supplier of 17" cabinet. Realy nice but they are located in New Zealand.

http://www.designbuildlisten.com/

134€ with shipment cost for a complete box.

Re: Maximum load R?

DSP_Geek said:
UcDs have a 2nd order lowpass filter at the output, series L and parallel C to the load. A no-load condition means we're essentially dealing with a series LC circuit, which with an applied signal near the resonant frequency tends to build up higher voltages on the components.

Bruno, is there a maximum Rout specification for the UcDs?
This effect is absent on UcD. The feedback takes off at the output. Even at the resonant frequency, the output voltage is fully controlled (Zout=0.1ohm at 35kHz).
The somewhat curious result of this is that when you run the amplifier without load and watch the pwm duty cycle while doing a frequency sweep, the modulation effectively drops to near zero at the resonance frequency, precisely because the filter is undamped and produces voltage gain. At the same time, the output of the filter will be a nice constant voltage.

The UcD data sheet (which admittedly is not always easy to track down on JP's web site) shows a graph of frequency response at loads of 3ohm, 6ohm and No Load At All. The physical resonance frequency of the filter is 35kHz. As you can see, the UcD control circuit simply takes the filter's own frequency response out of the equation.

No other commercially available class D amp does this. Other amplifiers either
1. ignore the problem, making feeble attempts to mollycoddle it by setting the corner frequency very high.
2. same as 1. but add a zobel network
3. have some of the feedback from the output filter, reducing but not eliminating the problem. Normally a zobel network is added to such designs to insure stability under no-load conditions.

Attachments

• ucdfreqresp.gif
    ucdfreqresp.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 704
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.