UCD180 questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Thanks for the comment, I appreciate !

I think selector switch is probably not the problem here.
I have "Alps Blue" 10K that is logarithmic. Amp input is 100K

I know that running passive volume control could have some problems. I am still on a learning course with some of these stuff but trying hard to get it all with limited time resources.

I was thinking adding some buffering there but what would be the benefits of doing so? I have one LDR pre available (2nd hand , some groundin issues) thst could be included in the set if needed. I really don't need any added gain so passive / buffer would be the way to go

Thanks,
M

If you don't need any gain, I'd take a good look at the B1, or go for a stepped attenuator, instead.

I think some of your problem is that your source has too much output, so you simply have too much gain. At the normal volume, you may be running into problems with unlinearity at the potmeters bottom scale.

I have a 6-cannel amp, with two UcD180s and a UcD34MP, and if I conncect this to an old Dynamic Precision preamp and a Slimdevice Transporter, I end up with similar problems. The DP is equipped with separate pots, so with too much gain, the potmeters is too unlinear at the rock bottom. I got myself a pair of Rothwell attenuators to fix this...

Johan-Kr

Hi Johan & Troy,

I am sure some of my problems are because of my need for little added gain in my system and with my listening habits.

But does that explain the way the pot was acting when I tried the amp without attenuators? I mean the pot giving signal through when turned down. Also the sound was very bright without any bass really. Could this be related to the wiring of the pot as mentioned by Troy?

While using inline attenuators It did help. Though I had bit too much attenuation since I could easily move the pot to full without being too loud.

I will post an image of the wiring, at least a drawing later today. I'm sure it will help a bit.

Thanks for your suggestions and help.
M.

Apologises for possible typos. Phone keypad is pretty tiny...

Hi

i am building a 5 channel ucd180 ampd using the 1200a180 smps i have a few questions.

on the power supply from what i can make out the boot strap cable j1.5 & j1.1 (purple and grey from the hypex cable) are not needed?

also are both the ground cables j1.3 & J1.6 needed or just one of them?

on the ucd180 module

is the thin black wire on the hypex ucd cable which i think is pin 1 needed?

i want to be using RCA connectors for audio in rather than xlr so blue ( pin 4) goes to RCA and white (pin2) and black/shield (pin 3) goes to ground on the RCA Connector?

thanks

hypex support replied to my email after the xmas hols

its up and running and sounds awesome

8hIPY52.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.