Class D troubleshooting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I've got a class D sub amp that has been having some troubles. The FETS on it seem to die somewhat spontaneously. I had it on originally, sounded great for a while, then just sorta died after a couple hours of use... not really hot or anything. I put in some FETs with a higher vdss, through on some pink noise, and within a couple hours the FETs gave out again. I've measured the rails, and they're pretty far under the vdss of the FETs, so I'm going to assume the power stage and the FETS are not the problem. I am going to assume there's an instability in the circuit... where should I start looking?

Thanks in advance.

SOP

Standard operating procedure when troubleshooting an amp. Run it with a 100W light bulb in seri4es with the AC power supply so you can troubleshoot it without blowing up the output devices.

Are the devices getting hot? If the switching time is too slow, they will get jot and die. Rise time should be a fraction of a microsecond. You do have a 25MHz or better scope? If not, a problem like this is really hard to track down.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.