Class D preamp ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Class D preamp

Since class D is essentially an on-off representation of an audio signal and could be a pulse code modulation as well, would this not just be a DSP then.

Because Class-D's big selling point is greater efficiency and since a pre-amp is very low power anyway, there is no reason to make class-D op amps for a pre-amp.

I have been working with 24 bit 96K DSPs for long enough now to know that this will work better than any simulation of an op-amp with a PWM method. And I normally pull 100db of dynamic range from the A/D converters I use.

With the AES/EBU or S/PDIF inputs on my DSP and with the digital studio systems as well as the I2S to PWM modulators made, it is now possible to have a fully digital path from the mic preamp in the studio right up to the power output stage in the power amp.

I am doing this now with D2Audio Modules and will be expanding it into other power amp technologies soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.