Class D preamp ?? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2004, 12:56 AM   #11
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Class D preamp ??

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

Before you go any further: What are the advantages of class D in a pre amp? I wish that you try to answer this first.
It seems that altering things in the time domain seems easyer than changing the level/svinging voltage. Could this be the reason for class d amps sounding so "free" ?

Anyone have a genious idee about controlling the level without an traditional autenator?

/
Old 9th September 2004, 10:13 AM   #12
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Hi,

I think class d amps sound so "free" due to the AD conversion being ideally 100% linear, kind of like an ideal class A. I guess that's kind of what you said.

Since you can't control the amplitude of it with traditional means, I think realistically the best bet would be a very good class A pre amp stage. Since it's very low power.. it really shouldn't be a problem.

Regards
Old 9th September 2004, 10:49 AM   #13
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

A class-D pre-amp is a bit of a case of additional circuitry and complexity for the sake of it, but one advantage can be use of a single pot to adjust level. Check out John Linsley Hood's attenuator and compressor in Electronics World a few years ago.
Old 9th September 2004, 12:26 PM   #14
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Fitzpatrick
--snip--
On another note, It's a shame I have to make this reply in a different browser but it seems that DIY has become dysfunctional. I'm going to be complaining about this in every post I make until it's fixed.
Why not try and post it in the Troubleshooting forum rather than in every post you make?
Old 9th September 2004, 08:44 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
A class-D pre-amp is a bit of a case of additional circuitry and complexity for the sake of it, but one advantage can be use of a single pot to adjust level. Check out John Linsley Hood's attenuator and compressor in Electronics World a few years ago.
I was thinking if a d stage could replace the ordinary output buffer maybe. If that could be combined with some very smart attenuator, "somehow" within the bridge, I would like to try it. Normal input circuits could be used. My knowledge in "d" is really shallow so ....

Are Elektor articles available on the web? I never subscribed to that mag.

Best regards /
Old 9th September 2004, 09:16 PM   #16
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

A class-D pre will definitely be a lot more complex than a class-A or B one. I think JLH used an output buffer to ensure the PWM filter was loaded correctly, so the benefit you are hoping to achieve wouldn't be done.

EW (not Elektor ) articles are not available very easily other than looking up the article on softcopy and then ordering the back issue from EW.

I may have the mag somewhere and I have just purchased a scanner though... However, I don't recall the article having a board layout. Maybe not a good first design project.
Old 9th September 2004, 09:49 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Aha - I hoped that it would be quite insensitive to it's load. Is this due to the typical high impedance of the input for a typical power amp?

I'm shure I could do anything with some scematics but it would maybe be a good read (if I can grasp it contents).

Please - You must be dying to try that scanner

BR /
Old 10th September 2004, 07:12 AM   #18
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Maybe I misunderstood, but I got the impression you were trying to eliminate the typical output (op-amp) buffer. If I have remembered correctly, the JLH design does *not* do this, as a buffer is placed after the PWM stage to ensure it's loaded correctly. Thus the power amp input impedance is of little consequence.
Old 10th September 2004, 07:33 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

TNT,

Didn't you use ICEpower?

As far as I know the ICEpowers run at +12VDC / -12VDC for the Opamps, perhaps you can upgrade the opamp in the inputsection of the ICEpower to an AD8620 or OPA2134.

Perhaps this will make the sound of your setup much better?

As thinking of a Class-D preamp...........

I would definatly go for a passive preamp and increase the input impedance of your amplifier, or a very nice discrete Class-A preamp.

Cheers,

Jan-Peter
Old 10th September 2004, 04:28 PM   #20
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately I do not have the magazine here to scan as I left it at my parents house. The issue required is April 1995.

Hide this!Advertise here!