Lobbying for a Class D Forum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I prefer "Class D / Switch-Mode Amplification, power DACs and SMPS"

"Switching" rubs me the wrong way.
Also, and mainly, "Switch-Mode Amplification" portrays an area of discussion of a particular topic, whereas "Switching Amplifiers" portrays a "come and get your finished designs" thread.

I think DACs aren't really amplifiers because the definition of an amplifier is something that amplifies linearly, if you consider the signal you start with in regards to the one you finish with, being identical. Whereas a DAC, while the output signal can be at whatever power level, did not "amplify" but "converted"... symantics.

Howdy,

There seems to be a minor confusion about what is the forum name and what is the subtitle.

If you go to the "amplifiers" level (click on "amplifiers" on the top of the page that says diyaudio forums > top > amplifiers > ...), you will find listings such as

Solid State
Talk all about solid state amplification.

"Solid state" is the name of the forum. It will appear as such in the email notices and on the aforementioned top bar.
"Talk all about solid state amplification" is the subtitle, which appears only on the forum listings.

The name of the forum should be short and concise, and imho should not try to be exhaustive (remember for example that the forum discussing turntables and tape machines is simply called "analog").
The subtitle can be longer and explain what it's all about.
I would propose to keep the forum name "Class D" or "Switching Amplifiers". You can then let your imaginations run wild on the subtitle, although I'm personally still happy with "Switching Power Amplifiers, Power D/A conversion and SMPS".

Cheers,

Bruno

PS: A power DAC is under no circumstances an amplifier. I expect an amplifier to put out exactly what came in, only bigger. If I feed an SPDIF signal into an amplifier I expect nothing else than an SPDIF signal of higher voltage or current.

The "signal amplitude" argument cannot be sustained. Suppose I used 1kV signalling levels and 1ohm line impedance for SPDIF. A device that converts that signal into a 50V analogue audio signal should be called a "digital attenuator" if the "electrical signal amplitude" argument were to hold. To complicate matters further, what if the SPDIF came in optically?

The part of a power DAC circuit that can legitimately be called an amplifier is the switching power stage, because it sees PWM at its input and it strives to reproduce this PWM signal (or at least parts of it, like the timing or the low-frequency content) as truthfully as possible.

Hi,

You are right, there is alot of room for the subtitles..

I would be very happy with

"Class D" as title and
"Switching Power Amplifiers, Power D/A conversion and SMPS" as the subtitle... with the text flashing on and off :rolleyes:

Poor moderators, they made a real effort to include everything so we'd all be happy and yet..

Thanks once again to everyone who had a hand in bringing this forum to us.

Hi Chris,

there are several articles of Class D amps on this page mostly which amp IC from which company you can get as well as some recommendations on PCB design.
But the problem is I do not have any other link, this is a newsletter subscription for EDN professionals. But any body can subsribe to this newsletter.

Rgds
GKU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.