Lobbying for a Class D Forum - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2004, 02:01 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
The moderators haven't talked so much about this but the time is working for a separate forum for class D but right now class D is VERY rare amongst DIY'ers.... even more rare than SMD
Hmmmm..... Majority rule? Looks like we're landing on the wrong side of democracy here. I hope the moderators will understand that our minority status is not a good argument against an accommodation which is essentially without cost.

I'm trying to remember when I last used a resistor with wires sticking out... 1995? Sheesh I'm getting old. My last linear amplifier is getting quite dusty too.
Old 24th May 2004, 02:07 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Default "Class D & SMPS"

I would call the eventually new forum "Class D & SMPS"

Class D is Switching mode amplifiers and SMPS is for the universal shortness among powersupply designer "Switch Mode Power Supply".

In this forum will everything count in that works in switching mode, not linear mode.
IMHO it's not an issue in what class any amplifier is working in I think, but in which mode.

And if we can collect people to this forum who are intrested also in SMPS technology then it will drag even more people who can contribute with expertise from both fields.

Just som "professional" words from me!
Old 29th May 2004, 09:33 AM   #33
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Hi,

As a DIY'r I'd like to say minority or not, "Class D" is arguably where the future/present of audio is going, and I also think the term say's enough as a forum name.

SMPS, are a forum all of their own. There's enough variations of them that have little to do with audio applications, which can be posted in their own forum, and it will remain our jobs to pick and choose that technology which is readily adaptable for audio purposes...buck converter...single period error correction...power factor controllers as amplifiers..This we'll post in "Class D".

I think adding SMPS to the Class D forum would be exactly like throwing in Class B with it.

Helps maintain that high "signal to noise" posting ratio which I've really come to enjoy here.

Thanks.

Chris B
Old 29th May 2004, 07:44 PM   #34
David M is offline David M  Canada
diyAudio Member

We need this forum...even lurkers like me.

How about "Switching Systems" or "Switching Power Systems"?

Old 29th May 2004, 09:24 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

30 votes already. I hope everyone who posted here has voted (the "feature request" section is on the top of the main page). The most important thing is that we need the forum. The name is another problem. As long as it isn't "digital amplifiers" I'm OK.
Old 30th May 2004, 04:23 AM   #36
Banned

We may be on the losing end of this. Most of the people who would participate are engineers, and not typical DIYers.

This place isn't always engineer-friendly.

BTW........it won't take my vote. So it is really 31 as of now.

Jocko
Old 30th May 2004, 05:18 AM   #37
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Won't take my vote...says incorrect password
Old 30th May 2004, 06:14 AM   #38
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Hi,

I add my vote twice.

The "feature request" feature doesn't work for me either, as I also get the password error.....can we get an engineer on that ....I want a recount.

I thought at first it might be because i'm a probationary member
(typically I lurk and don't post much ...so far) and so perhaps would not have access to such a feature. Hence my posting here.

Cheers
Old 30th May 2004, 10:23 AM   #39
JohnW is offline JohnW  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I also tried to vote - but again "incorrect user name or password"

Some suggestions for the forum name: -

“Switching Amplifiers and SMPS”

“Class D - Switching Amplifiers and SMPS”
Old 30th May 2004, 10:35 AM   #40
diyAudio Moderator

I suspect the Request feature is off line at the moment until the server move is fine tuned.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!