Lobbying for a Class D Forum - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2004, 01:48 AM   #101
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
I prefer "Class D / Switch-Mode Amplification, power DACs and SMPS"

"Switching" rubs me the wrong way.
Also, and mainly, "Switch-Mode Amplification" portrays an area of discussion of a particular topic, whereas "Switching Amplifiers" portrays a "come and get your finished designs" thread.

I think DACs aren't really amplifiers because the definition of an amplifier is something that amplifies linearly, if you consider the signal you start with in regards to the one you finish with, being identical. Whereas a DAC, while the output signal can be at whatever power level, did not "amplify" but "converted"... symantics.
Old 12th September 2004, 01:59 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Perhaps Kofi Annon (sp?) should weigh in here as this seems to be expanding to global scope.

How about calling it "Classes of operation beyond A, B, C."

Not a fire extinguisher rating to be sure, but it might occasionally need one.
Old 12th September 2004, 01:22 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Howdy,

There seems to be a minor confusion about what is the forum name and what is the subtitle.

If you go to the "amplifiers" level (click on "amplifiers" on the top of the page that says diyaudio forums > top > amplifiers > ...), you will find listings such as

Solid State
Talk all about solid state amplification.

"Solid state" is the name of the forum. It will appear as such in the email notices and on the aforementioned top bar.
"Talk all about solid state amplification" is the subtitle, which appears only on the forum listings.

The name of the forum should be short and concise, and imho should not try to be exhaustive (remember for example that the forum discussing turntables and tape machines is simply called "analog").
The subtitle can be longer and explain what it's all about.
I would propose to keep the forum name "Class D" or "Switching Amplifiers". You can then let your imaginations run wild on the subtitle, although I'm personally still happy with "Switching Power Amplifiers, Power D/A conversion and SMPS".

Cheers,

Bruno

PS: A power DAC is under no circumstances an amplifier. I expect an amplifier to put out exactly what came in, only bigger. If I feed an SPDIF signal into an amplifier I expect nothing else than an SPDIF signal of higher voltage or current.

The "signal amplitude" argument cannot be sustained. Suppose I used 1kV signalling levels and 1ohm line impedance for SPDIF. A device that converts that signal into a 50V analogue audio signal should be called a "digital attenuator" if the "electrical signal amplitude" argument were to hold. To complicate matters further, what if the SPDIF came in optically?

The part of a power DAC circuit that can legitimately be called an amplifier is the switching power stage, because it sees PWM at its input and it strives to reproduce this PWM signal (or at least parts of it, like the timing or the low-frequency content) as truthfully as possible.
Old 12th September 2004, 02:51 PM   #104
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Hi,

You are right, there is alot of room for the subtitles..

I would be very happy with

"Class D" as title and
"Switching Power Amplifiers, Power D/A conversion and SMPS" as the subtitle... with the text flashing on and off

Poor moderators, they made a real effort to include everything so we'd all be happy and yet..

Thanks once again to everyone who had a hand in bringing this forum to us.
Old 12th September 2004, 03:02 PM   #105
diyAudio Moderator

I'm going to give you a week to decide...
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 12th September 2004, 07:34 PM   #106
JohnW is offline JohnW  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by classd4sure
Hi,

You are right, there is alot of room for the subtitles..

I would be very happy with

"Class D" as title and
"Switching Power Amplifiers, Power D/A conversion and SMPS" as the subtitle... with the text flashing on and off
Yes, I second that, but without the text flashing on and off !
Old 21st September 2004, 05:46 PM   #107
wytco0 is offline wytco0  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Weeks up !

I like Brunos suggestion.
Old 21st September 2004, 08:23 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

OK! Now all eyes are on the moderators/webmaster to make the change and to make the forum easier to access (=on the front page along with solid state and tubes).
Old 26th September 2004, 08:50 AM   #109
wytco0 is offline wytco0  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Can the moderators action this now?
Old 26th September 2004, 09:18 AM   #110
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by wytco0
Weeks up !
Yup, but I was ill...

Quote:
Originally posted by wytco0
Can the moderators action this now?
Now you have made a decision it will go into the vast pile of things to be done!

It will probably happen when we reorganise and update the main page.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!