ICE/ class d amps used for PA/musical instruments? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2005, 11:00 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JensRasmussen Send a message via MSN to JensRasmussen
I offered some time ago to test the two modules.

KM was sadly not into the idea, and that is where the story ended.

I would have been very fun to se what all the fuzz is about.

\Jens
Old 11th March 2005, 06:41 AM   #52
jhenryc is offline jhenryc  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Getting back to the original topic . . .

I have a pair of UcD180 modules and want to use them to power a compact, lightweight PA system. If I can save a pound or two by using a SMPS, I would be even happier for the added portability--I should say my wife would be happier, as she is the one lugging the system around day in and day out.

Could anyone point me to worthwhile designs and or component suppliers for such a power supply? An additional feature which would be nice is to be able to switch between low (60-80watts) and high (up to the nominal 180 watts max) output ranges. The purpose here is to match lower and higher speaker capacities for different rooms (small / large) using the single PA system.

Being kind of new to all of this, I would greatly apppreciate any help. ;>)

Regards,

John C
Old 11th March 2005, 12:27 PM   #53
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Getting back to the original topic . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by jhenryc
I have a pair of UcD180 modules and want to use them to power a compact, lightweight PA system. If I can save a pound or two by using a SMPS, I would be even happier for the added portability--I should say my wife would be happier, as she is the one lugging the system around day in and day out.

Could anyone point me to worthwhile designs and or component suppliers for such a power supply? An additional feature which would be nice is to be able to switch between low (60-80watts) and high (up to the nominal 180 watts max) output ranges. The purpose here is to match lower and higher speaker capacities for different rooms (small / large) using the single PA system.

Being kind of new to all of this, I would greatly apppreciate any help. ;>)

Regards,

John C

Hi John,

You may want to try the SMPS on this site,

http://www.a-and-t-labs.com/K6_Sw_Amp/index.htm

it has a switchable output voltage and you could modify those voltages if you can replace a few resistors. Note however that the supply is a kit, you have to assemble it yourself. It is a bit expensive for two UcD180 modules and it delivers far more power than you need.

I have ordered two of them since I need to feed 6 to 8 UcD amps for two active speakers. Unfortunately, the design seems a bit old and it has no power factor correction. I want to try it out and it may work fine since these supplies are normally used for a high power Class AB amp.

Best regards

Gertjan
Old 11th March 2005, 05:16 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Because you would not let me borrow some modules for a free test.

Should I post your actual E-mail as proof?

\Jens
Old 11th March 2005, 05:25 PM   #55
km is offline km
diyAudio Member

hi.

jens, no unlike others i know what i have said and written.

the difference from then to now is that we do sell the boards/modules to diy's and in my mind you should feel free to compare whatever boards you like , personally i think you should include icepower and lc audio boards as well.

i dont know if you can convince the manufacturers that you can conduct a test like this in a serious and professional manner, in my mind it should be complimented with a series of measurements too, can you do this?

best rgds - karsten madsen - cadaudio.dk
Old 11th March 2005, 05:31 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

As I (luckily) have no professional affiliation with any HIFI manufacturer, I have no access to audio analyser equipment. I can, however, offer a fair and unbiased test of any PWM modules or amps. Anyone interested in participating can contact me when and if this opportunity arises.

\Jens
Old 11th March 2005, 05:54 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Hi Jens,

I can borrow you two UcD400 for a sonic test against other Amplifiers (Class-D or Analog I don't mind), if you like.

We did measured a lot of other modules on our AP System 2, and some modules are better as others. Our modules are performing quite well, I can say........

Regards,

Jan-Peter
Old 12th March 2005, 10:08 PM   #58
jhenryc is offline jhenryc  United States
diyAudio Member

Gertjan,

Thanks for the info--that device does look like overkill for my needs. I would also wonder if, after assembling over 130 components, I had somewhere made an important mistake! For that price I would hope to find something mostly assembled already. But if that is the only option available, I will certainly give it a closer look.

With respect to Class D amps, it seems that the technology is finally coming of age, in terms of price/quality--i.e., more products that are worth buying are being made available. I guess I'm hoping that a similar move would be occurring for audio-ready SMPS technology as well.

Anyone aware of other "audio-ready" SMPS products that are available?

Thanks,

John C
Old 13th March 2005, 12:07 AM   #59
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jhenryc
Gertjan,

Thanks for the info--that device does look like overkill for my needs. I would also wonder if, after assembling over 130 components, I had somewhere made an important mistake! For that price I would hope to find something mostly assembled already. But if that is the only option available, I will certainly give it a closer look.

With respect to Class D amps, it seems that the technology is finally coming of age, in terms of price/quality--i.e., more products that are worth buying are being made available. I guess I'm hoping that a similar move would be occurring for audio-ready SMPS technology as well.

Anyone aware of other "audio-ready" SMPS products that are available?

Thanks,

John C

Hi John,

Assembled modules of SMPS power supplies for audio applications do exist. Have a look at www.cadaudio.dk. Go to the PWM amp section and soon you wil find powersupplies as well. I was interested in those supplies, however, there is some small print at the end of the webpage saying that they only sell the supplies in combination with amps. Maybe you could ask nicely :-)

Gertjan
Old 13th March 2005, 02:05 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Joep Zonnebloem Send a message via MSN to Joep Zonnebloem Send a message via Yahoo to Joep Zonnebloem
Quote:
Originally posted by ghemink

Hi John,

Assembled modules of SMPS power supplies for audio applications do exist. Have a look at www.cadaudio.dk. Go to the PWM amp section and soon you wil find powersupplies as well. I was interested in those supplies, however, there is some small print at the end of the webpage saying that they only sell the supplies in combination with amps. Maybe you could ask nicely :-)

Gertjan
I asked mr. Madsen nicely and he replied, also nicely, that he would not sell it without his (or ICpower's) modules, for the reason that those are fullbridged and thus do not suffer from power supply pumping, making them more suitable for an SMPS than halfbridged modules like UcD and Zappulse. Maybe they aren't bad at all, these cadaudio's; I'm very curious for JensRasmussen's test. I hope he is able to include the Zap's in the test too. I just build an amplifier for bassguitar with a Zap and a -77/+77 PSU (Transf. 1000VA). It sounds brilliant; I only need a better matching preamp to get the full power (some 600-650 W, i guess).
By the way, i am at least as curious for your findings with the A&T SMPS. I am strongly considering ordering 1 or two of those. So please keep us updated on your findings...

edit: mr. Reinhard Metz of A and T Labs mailed me that he thought the Zap's and the SMPS would go well together and make for a nice lightweight design. I don't think he is trying to sell them at all costs since the kits are more like a 'hobby outgrowth' and his main business is consulting...

Hide this!Advertise here!