ICE/ class d amps used for PA/musical instruments?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I am investigating the use of these new micro amp modules for live sound reinforcement. I wonder why this isnt happening allready? I am interested in small PA and keyboard amplifiers / monitors. For these applications, light weight, small size would outweight a sound that may not be in the absolute high-end class.

PWM and switched amps got a bad rep for being unreliable and diffictul to repair in the old days. That would definately be a problem.

Does B&O/ICE sell those modules directly yo the end user? Anyone know where to buy them in the scandinavia?

with best regards
Knut Inge

knutinh said:
Hello. For these applications, light weight, small size would outweight a sound that may not be in the absolute high-end class.

I dont know about the sound quality, but here is an article where one Krell owner replaced his Krells with Ice power based amp after a comparison test. Its in swedish.
http://hem.bredband.net/b227650/Hifi/icekrell1.htm

BTW if you find the Ice modules for sale somewhere I would be very glad if you mailed me:D

Thanks for the replies. Professional rack mountable amplifiers are typically to expensive and to heavy (those mentioned here were 15kg and up)

I`m talking about 2*100W or so to fit in a 30Kg (total) speaker.

Anyone willing to compare ICE modules to ZapPulse to D2audio to whatever?

BTW, what kind of powersupply do you need for these modules? A big transformer?

regards
Knut Inge

Yes,

Indeed we will come with a DIY Class-D module.

Please take a look on the Photo.

This Module will be soon available!

Regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Attachments

• ucd_180w low res 100k.jpg
    ucd_180w low res 100k.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,496
hi.

we have done very well in comparison with modules claiming very good specs (as you may know).

at the same time our modules are rugged enough for proaudio/ pa use.

how does your modules compare with name modules?

what is it you would like to know?

rgds karsten madsen - cadaudio.dk

ps. we share the info with our customers , your arent likely one of them , are you?

ps2, unlike you we dont have anything molded is black plastic :)

Hi Mr. Madsen,

In this link you can see the specs of the small UcD180 module. So it is very easy for everybody to compare this spec. to other products what are curently available.
http://www.hypex.nl/classd/classd.PDF

What kind of design do you use? Let me ask you some questions:
Open loop Class-D with a fixed oscillating frequency?
Selfoscillating just like, B&O, UcD, Mueta?
Feedback behind the outputcoil?
Graphs Power versus THD?
Graphs THD versus frequency?
Outputimpedance?

BTW, what is wrong with potting the modulator?

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

hi.

i think its obvious for most of us that good specs tell only half a story (or less).

what i think is more interesting is how the sound quality of one amplifier compares to the sound quality of another amplifier and we are doing pretty well here.

knut inge , do you need 2x100w and if yes is this for biamping?

the smallest one we made is a 2x350w amp , together with a switch mode supply the total weight is less then 800g (1.5 pounds) and no external heatsinks are required.

rgds - karsten madsen - www.cadaudio.dk

ps. i think we tell just as much about our modules as b&o , lc audio , etc.

I think you are wasting your time...

If you search the archives here, you will find that while Mr. Madsen has been asked repeatedly for more details about the architecture and performance of his digital amps, and he has refused to provide substantial details every time. He claims that specs correlate poorly with sound, and he defers from offering any info on the design as trade secrets.

I think we all realize that specs and sound quality do not go hand in hand, but then again, they are not completely unrelated either. Most reputable commercial concerns publish specs- Mueta, UcD, etc., are all there for anyone to see. Simple details like output filter/feedback take-off are also likewise provided by most designers, and discussion of such is not considered "giving away the store".

I think we can infer from his refusals that his amps do not spec as well as UcD, Mueta, Icepower, etc. Most of the modules that spec well seem to take feedback from after the output coil, therefore may we also conjecture that Mr. Madsen's modules take the feedback pre-output coil, a la Tripath???

Sometimes what people don't (or won't say) is as important as what they do say.

Of course, Mr. Madsen can correct this if it is wrong.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.