UCD400HG HXR Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was hoping there was a help forum for build questions but apparently none was found. So It's better to introduce my build and the problems after some background.
So about four months ago I bought two UCD400 HXR modules with a SMPS1200A400 power supply together with a softstart module. The idea was to replace my Alesis RA150 amp that drives my LB1 PMC speakers in my studio.
I had bought these speakers from presumably someone that resides in this forum as well. He told me he was using a homemade amp using the Hypex modules. to drive those speakers. Hence the idea to build about the same thing.

It took me nearly a half a year to later decide how I would go about it so I started to buy the modules and found a suitable chassis to build everything into. The chassis was an LD systems 4 channel amp 19" 2U that I completely stripped (apparently it was hit with 400V due to a Neutral failure on a generator.)

Together with the documentation from Hypex it was somewhat self explanatory to wire it all up. I know about the connection module for the Ncore modules, I bought it without knowing it was for a different amp, at least I did not have to splice a wire for the amp enable. :D In the meantime If I am not happy with the UCD400 modules I can swap them out for the NC400 amps.

All the boards are mounted on plastic studs M3. The cooling elements are plain construction aluminum cut to length and bend. All wiring is done oversized (you can't be sure enough :D) The little breadboard is a way to splice the power rails and ground.

Now onto my problem with this build, When I plugged it in it powers up nicely giving my a green led on the power push button. Once pressed you hear the soft-start click and afterwards another click when the amps are started.

I added a signal from my UAD interface but there is no music coming from the amp to the speakers. Well I do hear a distorted (sound like a skipping record) sound coming faintly from the speakers. I suspect a grounding issue, but since I am an HVAC tech and have not really that much experience with fault searching in electronics I was hoping on some pointers where to look for the problem. :confused:

Sorry for the long read. ... I had no other way of explaining it all.

Attachments

• IMG_3935.JPG
    IMG_3935.JPG
    469.7 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_3934.JPG
    IMG_3934.JPG
    467.6 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_3933.JPG
    IMG_3933.JPG
    444.8 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_3931.JPG
    IMG_3931.JPG
    471 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_3918.JPG
    IMG_3918.JPG
    515 KB · Views: 340
Thank you Khron for the answer. I've taken the amp now to my measurement bench and noticed I am putting 86V on the rails, which made me conclude I have selected the wrong power supply. Atleast I know for certain the over voltage protection works. I've most likely thought SMPS1200A700 would have been better to power the NCD .without looking at the voltage output of those powersupplies. .... off to the webshop it is.

One a side note. The SMPS power supplies, can work with the soft start. There is a schematic on the Hypex site explaining how to wire it up.

Thank you Gum.

But ... But ... I want a fancy led push button without creating circuitry :D (you may call me lazy)

As I stated before, I have selected the wrong type of power supply. I suppose the confusion came from the fact I wanted to power 2 UCD400 amps and thought since I will never have it on "war volume" a smps1200a700 would suffice, without actually looking at what a SMPS1200a400 does.

I should have read the documentation better. About the wiring, I am 100% certain it is correct, since I have used that same document as you linked in your message :).

In the meantime I have ordered the correct power supply. I will post when the amp is working and installed.

I'd just bypass it to see if it fixes the problem. If nothing changes you can keep it.

No, wait the SMPS1200a400 outputs 2x64V while the SMPS1200a700 outputs 2x85V. Your PSU should be fine since you got a sound from the speakers, if the Voltage was to high you wouldn't hear anything. are you measuring AC or DC?

Yes, but it looks like you wired it while looking from the rear of the conector. You should wire it from the front view. (Basicially you flipped 1 & 2 since you started counting by viewing it from the wrong side)

Khron, I am aware of that, having soldered all my own cables and patch blocks/panels for my PA company. If I don't know it by now I should be shot in the knees .... repeatedly :D

IMG_3937.JPG IMG_3936.JPG

Gum, I've tried without the soft-start, but that does not change the situation. The rails have 86Vdc and -86Vdc
I've added two pictures showing my wiring is correct.
Otherwise the pin one (amp enable) would have been connected to the wrong side.
However, I may have found the problem and it is a bit of a surprise, apparently I actually ordered a 1200a400 which outputs as you said 2x63V. The one that got delivered outputs 2x86Vdc So I assume they messed up the delivery.

As you can see here both measurements.

IMG_3940.JPG IMG_3941.JPG
And here you can see those leds are on. IMG_3942.JPG and it is passing audio, faintly.

Update :

Today the 24th, UPS delivered my power supply. The power supply now works and so are my amplifiers so in the end my wiring was correct. Maybe tomorrow I am going to post some pictures that I going to take with my IR camera to see if the aluminum I have installed on the blue blocks is sufficient enough to cool the amps. I suspect it is, but I want to make sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.