Searching for the right d class amp board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all :0)

I am trying to build a half decent sounding 12v mobile sound box.

I will be using my mission 702e speakers (including the crossovers that are in them) with 2 x passive bass radiators

What would be the best/ideal 12v d class amp to run and make them sound good.(would even look at premade kit im a a box rather than just a board).....the speakers are 8ohms and mission said min 25w to 75w.....I've checked out loads of boards online by review but was wondering if anyone can suggest a reliable one that would work great
...don't need bluetooth..just aux and looking at running 4 x 12v.72ah batteries to keep it running for a bit ;0)

Thanks in advance everybody (uk based so ebay or amazon is my main entrance source for items)

If you can run those batteries in series-parallel, that should give you plenty of options.

At 24v and 8ohm loads, TPA3116/3118 should be able to push about 30w cleanly (unclipped).

Or if you series up all four batteries, TDA89xx boards (which need symmetrical supplies, so +/-24v in this case) would be able to provide more power, but with a subsequent limitation in run-time.

My full support to Krohn's TPA3116/18 suggestion. Moderate quiescent current, high efficiency (in particular with PBTL coupling), good sound ("half decent" required) and cheap. Can handle 4 Ohm as well.

Thanks for that...do you have a link by any chance? Can't seem to fund that brand thru Google....found other makes with that model number....any idea what would be the perks to do with it with a mono board instead ? Cheeta

If you can run those batteries in series-parallel, that should give you plenty of options.

At 24v and 8ohm loads, TPA3116/3118 should be able to push about 30w cleanly (unclipped).

Or if you series up all four batteries, TDA89xx boards (which need symmetrical supplies, so +/-24v in this case) would be able to provide more power, but with a subsequent limitation in run-time.

Thanks you for that...I know absolutely nothing about this....been researching for a few weeks and have mashed my brain with it all....I'm an atrist and feel my Brain is wired right for electronics lol

Thanks for that...do you have a link by any chance? Can't seem to fund that brand thru Google....found other makes with that model number....any idea what would be the perks to do with it with a mono board instead ? Cheeta
TPA3116 and TPA3118 are two almost identical amplifier chips. The way they are cooled is the difference. The sound quality is the same.
DC 8-26V TPA3118 PBTL Mono Digital Amplifier Board AMP Module 1*60W Arduino | eBay
12V 24V 100W TPA3116DA D2 Mono Channel digital Power audio amplifier board DC | eBay
Amazon.com: HiLetgo DC 8-26V TPA3118 PBTL Mono Digital Audio Amplifier Board AMP Module 160W for Arduino: Cell Phones & Accessories
Amazon.com: HiLetgo DC 8-26V TPA3118 PBTL Mono Digital Audio Amplifier Board AMP Module 160W for Arduino: Cell Phones & Accessories

Ok have been looking at pricing some things up just for a cheapish system for when im doing paint jams...

Would these work ok? I would have to run the 12v batteries together to still gain 12v(is 10a better than 5a when running it like that) (as long time would be better than loudness for now) will design a better rig nearer Xmas when I've saved up enough lol......will be wiring all this up to my missions 702e and I have a spare sub rated I think between 25w/60w for the 2.1 board.....thanks for your guidance everyone...definitely a good forum that is helping me understand little bits :0) I've tried to use an online calculator to work out how long of run time I would get out of both 12v batteries but can't seen to work it out...cheers

Pa

Amp

DollaTek TPA3118 2.1 Digital Power Amplifier Board: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Battery x 2
Lucas 12V 5AH AGM/GEL Deep Cycle Rechargeable Battery: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Charger

Car Battery Charger 5A 8 Steps TUV GS Certified, ERAYAK 12V 8 Stages Trickle Charger Maintainer for 120Ah Lead-acid Battery, Maintenance-free, CA-CA, AGM and Gel Battery: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Or this if running 24v

Abakoo Mobility Scooter Battery Charger, 24v 5AMP 5A: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Last edited:
Ok that's good to know...like I said I'm totally new to all this lol..

Would would you suggest I could build knowing my specs...would a mono board sitting in each mission 702e with each having that 12v battery.....wired so I can plug my input to both...or a stereo board and then the best way to wire up both those 12v batteries for longer playing time rather than loudness...thank you for your input/help already...you do make it sound easier than what I've been reading on the Internet lol......

This is the sort of look I'm going for but using both my missions... and it gives me something to stand on when im painting 8/12ft high lol...I have the wheels and pull up handle already lol :0)

Portable 3-way Hifi Speaker/boomcase: 11 Steps (with Pictures)

For what it's worth, class-D amps rarely enjoy being run without a load, so if you want to use that 2.1 amp board from Amazon, you might run the risk of toasting the "sub" channel.

Would this work ok? Sorry for all the questions but struggle with Google and retaining info

The amp is tpa3116 12/24v d2...duel channel 100w @ 24v but will run it at 12v....I guess the questions in asking is

1...does this wiring look right?
2. What ah batterywould I ned to run for 6/8 hrs at 12v.....can't find out how many ah the app and speakers would push out otherwise I would use an online battery calculator :0)

Thanks for any help...if you are UK based I'm happy to produce you a piece of art for free if you can idiot guide me thru this as I know absolutely nothing about this side of things. (Very gratefully for help received already from this site :0)..if outside uk you can still have it free but would have to go half's on postage :0) Trying to help where I can :0) mateyb southwest on fb...

Can't really see from the pics but I have the + battery wired to the on/off switch then split to the amp and voltage meter and just to the - battery running to the amp....so is this right?

I'm probably in the wrong partor the forum now but it is a d class amp ;0) thanks...can't seem to upload the plans even those I can see it hear on the thread......will upland them to my Facebook so you can see what I mean....mateyb southwest.......thanks

Attachments

• speaker plan wire.jpg
    speaker plan wire.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 146
  • speaker plan box.jpg
    speaker plan box.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Your Mission 702e were 8ohm speakers, right? Well, out of 12V, at best you can expect maaaybe 10W or so relatively clean, or 15-20W distorted. If they were 4ohms, that'd be a different story...

You'll really want to series up the batteries if you want to use these particular speakers. That "100w" rating is... "marketing-ly optimistic", let's say, especially given the 26V max supply the TPA3116/8 are rated for. With a 4ohm load, at 26V, you can expect a clean 70w, or a distorted 85w-ish. Half that into 8ohm, "obviously".

Runtime's gonna depend, i suppose, mostly on how loud you'll expect to run these, and/or what type of music you'll be playing. In the sense that stuff with, say, prolonged bass noted will, in time, require more "juice", for a given volume level.

Calculating approx. battery life
How to calculate battery life with a big stereo? | Jet Boaters Community Forum

Your Mission 702e were 8ohm speakers, right? Well, out of 12V, at best you can expect maaaybe 10W or so relatively clean, or 15-20W distorted. If they were 4ohms, that'd be a different story...

You'll really want to series up the batteries if you want to use these particular speakers. That "100w" rating is... "marketing-ly optimistic", let's say, especially given the 26V max supply the TPA3116/8 are rated for. With a 4ohm load, at 26V, you can expect a clean 70w, or a distorted 85w-ish. Half that into 8ohm, "obviously".

Runtime's gonna depend, i suppose, mostly on how loud you'll expect to run these, and/or what type of music you'll be playing. In the sense that stuff with, say, prolonged bass noted will, in time, require more "juice", for a given volume level.

Calculating approx. battery life
How to calculate battery life with a big stereo? | Jet Boaters Community Forum

Thanks for getting back to me....so would this board be better? Only 25w per channel and it says best suited for 8ohms.....will happily upgrade to 24v....

KKmoon TDA7492P 2x25W Wireless V4.0 Audio Receiver Digital Amplifier Board Module with AUX Interface: Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

was just seeing if there was any issues using 2 x 12v or 1 x 24v (cheapest was my choice)...also would that wiriing right in the diagram with powerswitch (forget batterry part now I know 24v :0),thank you......I'm only trying to do this on a cheap budget of £50 (I know that goes up now coz I need 24v battery) otherwise I would buy new 4ohms speakers and leave missions alone

You CAN connect two 12v batteries in series, to get 24v, y'know ;) But you'll have to do your research which one of those options is the cheaper.

Regarding "suitability", i'm inclined to call BS on that. TPA3116/8 will work just as well (if not better, since they can provide about double the current than the TDA7492P) , but take your pick. But then again, if you go with one of those TPA3118 + bluetooth boards, you can even get away without a heatsink.

I just got this 2.1 tpa3116 amp, very nice. low noise floor. relay goes click_click_click on power on :/ but i would recommend it over most ready made tpa3116 amps. i can post pics of its insides later if people interested?
Finished blue TPA3116 2.1+ wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Digital Power Amplifier 100W+2*50W New-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

for your mission speakers it sounds like if those watt rates are rms then you would be better off with tpa3250:
Best board, look for when its available/in stock again: TPA3250-2CH-50W | 3e Audio

or there are they ready made fxaudio tpa3250 amps:
Buy tpa3250 and get free shipping on AliExpress.com
TPA3250 somebody is listening?

i recommend Sure/wondom boost converters to power amps: Sure Electronics' webstore 100W BOOST Converter for Audio Amplifier in Car
That way, you can use any 12v up to 24v battery's and the amp will always get 24v for tpa3116 and 32v~ for tpa3250

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.