300€ for 2x100W + 2x25W + DAC (for LXMini)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Look for help: 300€ for 2x100W + 2x25W + DAC (for LXMini)

Hello,

Since 1 year I listen to my current set-up: LXmini + 2 FX-Audio D802 + Stm32 programmed as USB input/DSP/SPdif output. The pitch of this config is high quality, full digital and low cost. However definitly the D802 are not powerful enough. I look for another option with more power but constrained budget.

Ideally, I would love to find full digital I2S input amps, that would sound good. But nothing really on the radar. No chip in ST (only lower power). The TAS3251 on TA side, but no review nor available board it seems...

What could be the options to build, on a 300€ budget, a 4 channel system needing 2x100 in 8R and 2x25 in 4R, with I2S input (FDA or DAC) ?

I'm not able to design PCB :-( but I'm betteer at integrating things.

Class D ?

LM3886 chip amps (S. Linkwietz for its pluto speakers used 1 LM3886 for tweeter and 2 bridged for woofer) ?

Hypex UCD180 (ouch extra cost foreseen)

The high end option, but out of target budget, would be two Hypex Fusion FA123 plate amps with 100W + 2x120 W + DSP + digital in.

I must say taht I don't look for the extreme performance but love the pareto rule, and solutions that bring 99% of performance/emotion for 20% of the cost

Advices welcomed :)

Best regards,

JMF

Last edited:
Class D ?

LM3886 chip amps (S. Linkwietz for its pluto speakers used 1 LM3886 for tweeter and 2 bridged for woofer) ?

Hypex UCD180 (ouch extra cost foreseen)

The high end option, but out of target budget, would be two Hypex Fusion FA123 plate amps with 100W + 2x120 W + DSP + digital in.

Running out of amplifier power seems unlikely. More likely is the driver sensitivity. Are you sure you are not just missing the bottom octaves? Can you beg/borrow a subwoofer?

I have just replaced Hypex UCD180 with Sabaj A4
and would not go back to DAC/ADC. I cannot imagine that LM3886 would give you anything worthwhile - in my experience they are poor.

Regards,
Andy

Hi,
Thanks for the proposals. But those amps don't seem to be powerful enough. The Sabaj for ex relies on a TAS5342 that seems to "only" deliver 2x30W "clean" power in 8R loads.

I did not found the chip of the Dayton, which delivers 2x50W in unspecified load.

I had a look at the TAS3251EVM board, but at 240€, it is not so competitive with Hypex nCore fusion plates.

Sure that the digital input criteria narrows significantly the options. What would be the options for an I2S DAC that could fit the allocated budget?

The woofer has a 84dB sensitivity (2.83V, 1m).

I'm frustrated to see some promising chips that are not usable by hobbyist because of mandatory compex PCBs and smd soldering...

JMF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.