Distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

If this problem already have a thread, please guide me to that.
I have bought a lot of different class D amplifier boards, for experimenting in building various portable speakers.
I have come to a problem i dont really understand. If i for example connect a 12V 2x20W or 12/24V 2x50W amplifier to a 60W speaker, i get distortion when i turn up. If i connect a 300W speaker and turn up, i get distortion. This happens with all my amplifier modules, regardless which setup i have (speaker wattage, speaker impedance, amplifier voltage and power output) and i'm quite puzzled about this!.

Do any of you have any explanation on this and/or solutions on how i can avoid this when building my speakers?

My goal is to build portable speakers for outdoor use, hence why i'd like to turn up the volume loud.

Thank you in advance!
- Casper

Khron, i am not sure i understand what you mean here? My power supplies are respectively 24V/4A and 12V/1A.

cliffforrest i have access to an oscilloscope, just not at home. When i have the time to go, i will measure on these boards! I was hoping that there was something essential i have overlooked or that it is a common problem with these amp boards.
I read another forum that the THD might cause bad sound. But is that only happening when i turn up the volume?

If this problem already have a thread, please guide me to that.
I have bought a lot of different class D amplifier boards, for experimenting in building various portable speakers.
I have come to a problem i dont really understand. If i for example connect a 12V 2x20W or 12/24V 2x50W amplifier to a 60W speaker, i get distortion when i turn up. If i connect a 300W speaker and turn up, i get distortion. This happens with all my amplifier modules, regardless which setup i have (speaker wattage, speaker impedance, amplifier voltage and power output) and i'm quite puzzled about this!.

Do any of you have any explanation on this and/or solutions on how i can avoid this when building my speakers?

My goal is to build portable speakers for outdoor use, hence why i'd like to turn up the volume loud.

Hi,

Distortion is different something your problem is clipping its because of more input signal or amplified at max. point when supply lags.
use limiter circuit to avoid clip
regards
manoj

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.