Speaker switching on 4 ch class D Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This post poses a question about speaker switching on a multi channel class D amp.

Background. I have a little solar powered travel trailer with a POS amp within the otherwise okay factory head. It has indoor and outdoor speakers. I can get a nice small class d 4 channel power amp and use the stereo rca pre outs as input. All is well with all four speakers going. But I’ll want to switch the speakers so I don’t freak out the bears and the chuckwallas.

Now, I can either switch the pre amp input signal (A, B, or both) OR switch the ground on the speakers, thus running a pair of channels of the amp with no load. Since I’m being real stingy with power consumption, I want to do it in a manner that is most power efficient.

What is the best way to do this?

I originally intended to use two stereo boards but I came into a great deal on a commercial 4 channel car amp that will fit into the tiny space available. I’m going to try and use it. When a channel isn’t in use I may need to switch from speakers to load resistors if the no load condition is an issue for this amp.

I don't really seem to get what your idea is; but switching the speakers is probably not the best solution.
You have a stereo headunit with double (A/B) line out? Just connect each channel to a channel on the amp and use the A/B switch. Powering the amp with no input signal on 2 of the 4 channels, but with load (speakers) is no problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.