Hypex NC502MP - how to use front power switch AND 12V trigger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

Hoping to poll the wisdom of the group here, as I'm a mechanical engineer who can't help but tinker with electronics. I have recently come into possession of a Hypex NC502MP amplifier board, and I have a question about power standby switches and 12V trigger inputs from AV receivers.

I have read the datasheet on the hypex amp a few times, and it seems I can use the low power SMPS with a 12V trigger to turn the main SMPS and amplifer section ON when I feed a 12V DC signal to the proper pin. At the same time, I would like to include a standby power button on the front my amplifier case in the event I need to unplug the speakers, and I can't reach the rear of the amplifier chassis. That said... I can't quite think my way through a switching or relay setup that would allow the 12V trigger to work, and the front power switch to interrupt it.

Ideally when I press the front power switch, the main SMPS power would turn off, yet this state would not be remembered by the amp. In my head this equates to a reset condition, where turning off my AV receiver (removing the 12V DC trigger voltage) would reset the standby switch. This way I won't have to walk over to the amplifier and hit the front switch every time I forget, and wonder why the 12V DC trigger didn't work.

I hope I've made some sense here, and that someone's got a relatively simple solution to show me. Remember... I'm a mechanical guy, so assume I barely know the difference between a light switch and a...well crap, I can't even form a good metaphor there!:p

Thanks in advance for any help!

The PS Enable pin must be "high" for power on. 3.3 to 12v.
This can be sourced from the Standby-SMPS.
A simple latching on-off switch can do this.
If you want to switch from an external source (eg a pre-amp which outputs a trigger then the safest way is to use a transistor in place of the above switch, your external source switches the transistor, thus you are not exposing the amplifier directly to external signals.

Hi Madtecchy and RussC, Thanks for the replies. My goals here are to use the Hypex amp with a standard AV receiver. If I can properly include a 12VDC trigger function on the Hypex amp, then I can get the Hypex to power up when I turn on the AV receiver. I'm just trying to avoid the requirement of physically touching the Hypex unit to turn it on and off, unless I am plugging in speakers.

So, as you guys have mentioned, I would like a latching switch on the front of my chassis that will control the PS enable signal that is sourced from the standby SMPS. Ideally, I would leave this switch latched in the ON position, so that the AV recevier controls the Hypex amp by sending the 12VDC trigger signal.

I have some Crown XLS1502 amplifiers that can use this kind of "sleep mode" using a 12V contact closure, but that requires a relay rather than a simple 12VDC signal. I'm just trying to bake a similar function into the Hypex.

Does that still require a transistor to accomplish?

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.